diy solar

diy solar

What is the best 2 ton mini split Heat Pump?

BKY2003

Solar Enthusiast
I am looking at the MR. Cool 2 Ton DIY unit. It qualifies for the South Federal Energy tax credit. It says the warranty is valid for DIY installation. Bed Bath & Beyond have it on sale for 20% off and free shipping. $1,506 after tax credit. Is there a better option?

Attachments

• IMG_4219.png
    IMG_4219.png
    579.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4220.png
    IMG_4220.png
    162.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
For what it's worth, the EER of that model is 12.5 (12.5/3.41=3.66) 366% efficient cooling when outdoor is 95F and indoor 80F.

The COP for heating is probably about the same percentage, when outdoor temp is 47F and indoor temp is 70F, but they don't specify the COP.

That info is useful for comparing units and for reference, non inverter window AC is 10-12 EER (293-350%) while the Midea U inverter window units are 15 EER (440%), so I figure we should aim to beat those numbers with the mini splits if possible.

-----------------

Also for reference the high end Fujitsu and Mitsubishi units are hitting 530% heating and 590% cooling in the best cases. They understate their BTUs to get those numbers at "rated BTUs" so essentially the radiators are oversized. Running in economy mode limits the compressor so then radiators are super sized and you get some truly impressive numbers.

Run these in 'powerful" mode if you need a quick temp adjustment and still decent efficiency compared to the cheaper units. For example my 9K/12K Fujitsu claims 22000 BTU max heating output and I measured it pulling 2115 watts from inverter in powerful mode at 43F outdoors. So if that was 20K BTU output, that was about 350% efficient. Not bad for a 9K AC unit if you see my point.

Downsides to the Mitsubishi and Fujitsu are obvious, the units are only technically 9K BTU, expensive up front, require you to buy your own lineset kit ($100 icool) and vacuum/manifold kit ($130 vivo) and require 240V wiring/inverter versus 120V for many 9K units.

Anyway I hope that gives some food for thought! I went with the 9K/12K Ruud (Fujitsu 09LZAS1) on eBay for $1400. Ended up $2200 after lineset/wire kit, cover kit, disconnect, conduit, wall brackets, vac pump, manifold set, including a 24V/230V 3KVA inverter.

I have been extremely surprised by how well this Mr.cool has done. My house is about 3700 square feet, and the temps have been around 42 at night outside. It has been running off the the EG4 18Kpv, solar and battery back up. It’s using about 8 to 10 KWH a day. But to my surprise it heating the whole house, my central air has not had to turn on. As a side note it is a two story and it’s upstairs. And it was very easy to install.

Attachments

• IMG_4452.jpeg
    IMG_4452.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 11
Back