diy solar

diy solar

What is the best cheapest mppt charge controller

Chip

Does anyone no of a good cheap mppt charge controller for a 100 amp 12/24 volt system.
At the moment I have one of the ebay blue fake mppt controllers. I bought 8 old panels and he gave me the controller.
I am just getting started.

Are you looking for 100A charging current SCC? What is the Wattage of those 8 panels?

64 watts each and like 3.8 amps each. the controller I have now is 50 amp

Does anyone no of a good cheap mppt charge controller for a 100 amp 12/24 volt system.
At the moment I have one of the ebay blue fake mppt controllers. I bought 8 old panels and he gave me the controller.
I am just getting started.
I run a 60 amp OOYCYOO. Running a 12 volt system max open circuit volt's are 48v (voc), max power volt's are 36v (vmp) and 780 watt's

Running a 24 volt system max open circuit volt's are 96v (voc), maxpower volt's are 72v (vmp) and 1560 watt's.

They make a 100 ampsolar charger! So far mine operates perfectly! Tgese are made for small aystem's.

64 watts each and like 3.8 amps each. the controller I have now is 50 amp
You could go with a charge controller like mine with the panel's you currently have easily! I paid 100 dollar's for my 60 amp OOYCYOO!

8x 64w = 512w

512w / 12.8v = 40a charging
512w / 25.6 = 20a charging

What is your reasoning for obtaining a 100a SCC? Are you doubling your array size?

Ok let me ask it this way what is the cheapest charge controller that is a real mppt. can find one around fifty to a hundred dollars

I have tried several around $100 true MPPT controllers, and, while they work, none would I consider good. The epever models ranging from 10A to 60A are decent, TRUE “make sky blue” models are fairly efficient at the correct PV voltage to battery voltage ratio… I have a decent eBay find that handles all my 12V stuff tied to my 300WATT series array, I will find the manual and post a link.

OK so can I charge nicad hybrid car batteries with the cheap blue controllers

I would suggest saving up and getting quality components. Cheap electrical is always a bad idea, especially with very high amperage (battery) systems.

I went through 3 different "cheap" solar charge controllers before I just bought a Victron. One cheap one failed within a month, another let out magic smoke, and the third just sucked. The Victron just works.

$100 will get you an entry level MPPT controller, but you won't even get close to 100 amps of charging for that price. Expect to spend an absolute MINIMUM of $4-500 for a 100 amp SCC that won't catch fire.

It would be cheaper, and more efficient, to up your system voltage. Double the voltage, and you can cut your charging amperage in HALF for the same amount of charging watts. 100 amps at 12 volts is 1200 watts, 50 amps at 24 volts is 1200w, and 25 amps 48 volts is also 1200w. A 20-30 amp SCC for a 48 volt system will be substantially cheaper than a 50-100 amp SCC for 12/24 volts.

Wiring for 100 amps will also be costly, a higher system voltage will make wiring (and BMS's, inverters, relays, disconnects, switches, etc) less expensive as well.

ok if I change my system to 24 volts and I have a 12 volt windmill would there be a way to add it in to the system

system to 24 volts and I have a 12 volt windmill would there be a way to add it in to the system
Yes if your windmill's charge controller can charge 24v batteries.
Or the hard(er) way, charge a 12v battery and run a 12v to 24v charger to your 24v bank.

I am of course assuming that a 12v windmill is like a 12v solar panel (marketing gibberish).

Ok I have no idea what i am doing
I have 8 Panels rated power (Watts) 64
Operating Voltage (Volts) 16.5
Open Current (amps) 3.88
open circuit voltage (volts) 23.8
Will this work for a 24 volt system?

Operating Voltage (Volts) 16.5
Open Current (amps) 3.88
open circuit voltage (volts) 23.8
Will this work for a 24 volt system?
Yes, easily. You will need to have at least 2 in series to get above 24v. So you could do 2S4P and probably work with a PWM or MPPT SCC at 2x 23.8v = 47.6Voc.
If you put 4 in series for 4S2P you wold have 95.6Voc and require an MPPT SCC that handles at least that much input voltage +15-20%.

The MPPT will convert a much higher voltage array into suitable charging voltage for your battery(s). The key is having one that will accept the array Voc + a buffer for colder temps that raise the voltage.

Back