diy solar

diy solar

What is wrong with these MC4 connectors?

cajocars

I’ve recorded myself trying to insert the metallic bit into the plastic bit; I’m supposed to hear a click but it doesn’t happen, and when I pull it out there is a metal bit coming out.
Am I doing something wrong or have I got really bad connectors?

Last edited:
It should work now
Video

I'm inserting the bigger terminal into the male housing (the one in the video) and the smaller terminal into the female housing, which should be correct

Your link is dead

We searched high and low, but we couldn’t find the page you're looking for. It may have been moved or deleted, or may never have existed at all.

Your link is dead

We searched high and low, but we couldn’t find the page you're looking for. It may have been moved or deleted, or may never have existed at all.
I don't know why, but it only works for a few minutes

Let's try with YouTube

my posting re the ends...

I've used the correct connectors in the correct housing; the video should now work

Well, that connector is clearly messed up. Are they all coming apart like that?
I tried two, one male and a female
They’re the ones that came with the crimp tool

Well, the inner "catch" part shouldn't come out of the housing. I don't know what to say and I have crimped, literally thousands of these MC-4's. Never seen this happen. Can you look up a YouTube vid on doing these crimps and see if you are possibly doing something wrong/different than how it should be done?

The tangs look to be engaging with the internal retainer and then when you pull the retainer is coming out when it should stay in. I had some like that from Solax for connecting to the inverter, they went in the bin. Well at least you have a crimper now.

Get some better connectors. The included ones with those kits tend to be crap (this is pretty universal across the board no matter the connector type)

Could it be than when I slide the rubber bit over the crimped connector I am bending the metal teeth enough for them not to grip?
I have tried to remember to do it before and that one seems to hold

But the teeth are working as when you pull its the internal insert that is being pulled out by the teeth, put them in the bin and buy better quality connectors.

Back