diy solar

diy solar

What panels should I purchase?

harpo

Good at many things, master of none
I am looking to put up 200-300 watts of solar panels for a small remote cabin system essentially for lighting only. My question is what are your recommendations for solar panels? There are so many different brands. Not necessarily looking for the "cheapest" but am looking for quality for longevity. Please post suggestions. Thanks

At this point, I think it doesn't really matter. The difference is very small, and there are no 'bad' panels unless you buy from eBay or something. Pick something that suits your needs, is available and convenient to you, and fits your budget. You can always ask opinions on specific panels here on the forum if you have e.g. 3 possible options and you want some feedback from potential current users to help make up your mind.

It depends a lot on your needs, check out: Comparing Solar Panels. For example if your cabin is in Florida you're going to want some panels with a high wind loading. Some of the best panels include: SunPower, LG, Panasonic... and they have price tags to match. You get what you pay for IMHO.
Next step down is probably Hanwha, Canadian Solar, JinkoSolar, Trina.... but as you can imagine... which panel is someone's favorite is sort of like asking them which political candidate or religion they like (@upnorthandpersonal is just unusually agnostic ;) ).

Last edited:
Buy the cheapest panels with decent reviews. Note that people leave bad reviews because they think a 100w panel should put out 100w most of the time. Ignore those.

I bought used sun power panels from Santan solar on eBay and would do it again. They are as advertised and a great price per watt.

I bought used sun power panels from Santan solar on eBay and would do it again. They are as advertised and a great price per watt.
How much was the minimum shipping charge from them?
The OP wants 2 or 3 $80 shipped 100 watt panels for basic lights.

I go for the cheapest panels I can find. Most of them will last for decades and have similar safety ratings. 30+ year old panels can pull 85-90% output.

Do you put any weightage to Poly/Mono debate?
Are mono upto the hype for working any better under low light conditions V/S when we compare the steep price difference?

From SAM... all are 340W panels using my location, flat roof, weather, power costs, etc. What's different is panel degradation, temperature coefficients, etc.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
No debate really. In short, it doesn't matter in real world situations.

Yeah I would say not much of a debate.

Monocrystalline is marginally more efficient, Polycrystalline is cheaper. But a watts a watt, a 100W panel is 100W panel whether it is mono or poly, less efficient panels will just be slightly larger.

There might be some small secondary differences but I can't speak to that.

Yeah I would say not much of a debate.

Monocrystalline is marginally more efficient, Polycrystalline is cheaper. But a watts a watt, a 100W panel is 100W panel whether it is mono or poly, less efficient panels will just be slightly larger.

There might be some small secondary differences but I can't speak to that.

Why do we see more of Mono examples in the videos circulated around? Is it the bling factor?

Why do we see more of Mono examples in the videos circulated around? Is it the bling factor?

What sort of videos are you talking about? Most of the videos I watch are vehicle based builds, vans, boats, etc where space efficiency is more important so mono can make more sense (and where panels are generally overpriced anyways, and PV arrays are small so spending a few bucks more on mono isn't a big deal).

Beyond this I think upnorthandpersonal is partially right:

They (arguably) look better aesthetically.

They look good, and beyond this, every company's flagship panels are mono, these are the most marketed panels with the most cutting edge features, and the highest efficiencies (look best on paper--most people don't understand what PV efficiency means).

Its also worth noting that Youtubers are influenced by a lot of factors not super relevant to consumers. What products are trendy/popular/most searched, what products drive views, what products look best on camera, what have other youtubers used/reviewed, what products are sponsored, free, or pay for product placement. If I only got my information from youtube, I would be under the impression almost every mobile build consisted only of Renogy, Victron, and Battleborn products

:ROFLMAO: Yes I second that, beyond doubt!
May be its time that poly guys should "Start cutting the corners":p.

I bet poly would sell much better if this were the case :LOL:. And, I'm sure they would if they could, buuuuuuut I believe the aesthetic differences (and difference in cost) is the result of a different manufacturing process, if poly changed its manufacturing process it would lose some or all of its cost advantage. Don't take this as fact, this is just my vague recollection of what I learned about the two types of panel.

Last edited:
Don't take this as fact

It's fact. It's the difference in which the ingot is grown from the melted material. Mono is done using the Czochralski method whereby a seed crystal is slowly pulled out from the mass creating a single crystal. Poly is build by inserting the seed crystal in the melt and then allowing it to cool down slowly. The latter leads to cracks etc. but is cheaper - and that's also what gives it its color pattern: it's not a clean single crystal structure.

Its also worth noting that Youtubers are influenced by a lot of factors not super relevant to consumers. What products are trendy/popular/most searched, what products drive views, what products look best on camera, what have other youtubers used/reviewed, what products are sponsored, free, or pay for product placement. If I only got my information from youtube, I would be under the impression almost every mobile build consisted only of Renogy, Victron, and Battleborn products

You have it covered.
For anyone beginning into solar, online resources would be the most handy research resource. Content made to "attract" consumers, is definitely going to loose a bit on utility quotient. In my humble experience, only after a series of hit-n-trial relapses, one gets to know what he "needs".
What better options ? None. May be - Community forums like these are the only hope, where one get to learn and save from junk piling in the store.

Cheers (y)

Last edited:
It's fact. It's the difference in which the ingot is grown from the melted material. Mono is done using the Czochralski method whereby a seed crystal is slowly pulled out from the mass creating a single crystal. Poly is build by inserting the seed crystal in the melt and then allowing it to cool down slowly. The latter leads to cracks etc. but is cheaper - and that's also what gives it its color pattern: it's not a clean single crystal structure.
And because of this we see less output at higher temps and as a conglomerate substance, it exhibits fissures and other electro-mechanical defects. What happens when its doped?

Monocrystaline pv has proven longevity at near original output and much of the turnover modules are poly, because they cost less per watt at the time. Likely they are nearing 80% output after ten or fifteen years in the field and are being de-commissioned for that.....and other reasons too.

Mono modules may look better to some, i like them.... or even all black. (Poly is available dark blue and black) poly can be stunning aesthetically also...

Mono modules have higher efficiency and output higher voltages at high temps.

being top of the line the mono panels do generally offer the companies higher tech features at least in the cell and build, bus arrangement, cell amd cover surface coatings and process, etc.

Monos perform more and cost more.... wo slightly less though that unless you have 20 or 40 or more modules it could hardly be a budget killer and you can have whatever you like.
Not always and maybe not to a degree that could affect choice over cost in dollars per watt.
for my money or my clients money, if anyone cares about the project i specify monocrystaline.

Some projects its just not happening, so polys get into a few of our subs.

Reactions: Dzl
And because of this we see less output at higher temps and as a conglomerate substance, it exhibits fissures and other electro-mechanical defects. What happens when its doped?

Monocrystaline pv has proven longevity at near original output and much of the turnover modules are poly, because they cost less per watt at the time. Likely they are nearing 80% output after ten or fifteen years in the field and are being de-commissioned for that.....and other reasons too.

Mono modules may look better to some, i like them.... or even all black. (Poly is available dark blue and black) poly can be stunning aesthetically also...

being top of the line the mono panels do generally offer the companies higher tech features at least in the cell and build, bus arrangement, cell amd cover surface coatings and process, etc.

Monos perform more and cost more.... wo slightly less though that unless you have 20 or 40 or more modules it could hardly be a budget killer and you can have whatever you like.
Not always and maybe not to a degree that could affect choice over cost in dollars per watt.
for my money or my clients money, if anyone cares about the project i specify monocrystaline.

Some projects its just not happening, so polys get into a few of our subs.

Great detailed perspective, thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Couple questions:

Do you know anything about how the two types of panel compare in terms of durability, flexibility, or resistance to mechanical damage?

When you say:
Are you saying mono panels generally have lower (voltage) temperature coefficients, compared with poly? I.e. output at both temperature extremes will be closer to output at STC than poly?

Back