diy solar

diy solar

What size battery system do I need?

Cmeister23

Hi just joined the group today but have been researching this site and some others and I’m ready to get started. Sorry about the long first post but I wanted to put in as many details as I could think of to help answer the questions. This seems like the friendliest and most knowledgeable group I’ve researched.

I’ve done my energy audit. I’m going full time with my wife and two kids in mid June for 14 months. We expect to do a lot of off grid camping. I’ve just bought a 2018 5th wheel and the original battery is at the end of its life. My energy audit shows we may should use 250 amps per day which of course will vary on weather. I figure 300 Amps would be max. We will Be north in the summer and south in the winter trying to follow a temperate climate but we will experience a little of everything I’m sure. Since Im starting from scratch it seems a 24v system would be the way to go. Since I started too late I don’t think I have enough time to order cells direct from China and build a battery. I could pay a little more and get them sooner from Amazon. I could build a 24v 280ah battery for about the same price I could buy a ready to go 24v 170ah with bms. Third option for about the same money is I could get a used Tesla battery that’s prepped for this type of use and been tested. I’m have some reservations on the Tesla battery as of the potential fire hazard. I have some help with some experienced electricians if I run into problem with any route I go.
For panels - Someone locally is selling used 250 watt panels for $110 each. I have room for 8 but not sure I need that much. Maybe go with 6? I could buy new 100w panels and put at least 18 on there at a much higher cost. Getting the panels on the roof is no issue because I have it backed up to my carport roof with easy access from my deck.
So for now my main two questions are for the same money build a 280ah or save the time and go with the 170ah? Second question is - I know the standard answer is put as many panels as you can fit and afford but would 1250w - 1500w be an acceptable amount? Any reservations with the bigger used ones? Update - I found new 260w panels for $100 each locally Which would be the way to go. I will have a 4000w generator as backup if I run into poor solar conditions but I know that won’t keep up on it’s own.

Thanks!

should use 250 amps per day
First, you gotta get the units right if you want good estimating. That should be amp hours a and even then it needs a voltage to have any meaning.
Watt hours are the foolproof way to work with energy usage because it is independent of the multiple voltages your system will have.

Oh thanks, and yes I’m sorry it’s amp hours at 12v so about 3000 watts per day Estimating 3,600 watts to be safe.

I am verbally challenged and after many years have discovered i am a visual learner. Fortunately problems like this are easy to conceptualize if I keep all the units the same as @MisterSandals suggested.
Then all I have to do is imagine a tank or a bar chart that has a capacity. Solar panels fill the tank and consumption empties the tank.
Therefore the answer to the question in the title is how much reserve you want? It is a personal choice based on how many days without sun or how many days you are happy with going with reduced power until you can fill up the tank.

Sorry about the tough love but using the right terms is key to being able to communicate and have an understanding of things.
I wasn’t able to get thru your original post but a lot of that is my failings.
At least we didn’t crash a Mars lander...NASA and Euro Space Agency still debating whether it hit surface at mph or kph!

Sorry about the tough love but using the right terms is key to being able to communicate and have an understanding of things.
I wasn’t able to get thru your original post but a lot of that is my failings.
At least we didn’t crash a Mars lander...NASA and Euro Space Agency still debating whether it hit surface at mph or kph!
No I appreciate it. That’s why I asked here to be challenged now rather then later when its too late. I went back and looked at all my calculations from a watt/hr perspective which makes much more sense. I’m looking at about 3600 watt hrs per day on average. If anything its probably on the high side.

Some quick math:
3600wh / 5h solar = 720w array
How much of rhis 3600wh is used outside of solar harvesting (the other 19 hours)?
That is the size of your battery.
Add in how many days when its cloudy that you want to have stored too.
That total / battery voltage is how big tour battery bank needs to be for your specifications.

It all falls into place from watt hours.

FYI this is my 355wx2 panels on my RV ovr part 4 days (friday was gloomy and rainyView attachment 46535) View attachment 46534
Thank you that’s very helpful to see the differences a weather day can make and how many watts are generated from a little over 700w panels in a day. At some point I’ll have mounting questions, but I’ll save those for when I’m ready. I’m not real excited about screwing into the roof due to water integrity concerns but it seems like the safest mounting method for large panels like that.

Thank you that’s very helpful to see the differences a weather day can make and how many watts are generated from a little over 700w panels in a day. At some point I’ll have mounting questions, but I’ll save those for when I’m ready. I’m not real excited about screwing into the roof due to water integrity concerns but it seems like the safest mounting method for large panels like that.
well I cheated I had roof damage so after the wood repairs I installed 1x4 and unistrut then had my roof sprayed on
Screenshot_20210424-202323_Gallery.jpg

sad part that isn't enough solar to run a RV absorption refrigerator even on the good days

If that last photo was your leading edge I would look into more substantial clips for the front. The right size clips will put the bolt in tension which is its strongest. The way it looks to me is the twisting of the bolt could loosen and the top plat could slide off because it is already at an angle because of the unequal loading.
This is what I used.

If that last photo was your leading edge I would look into more substantial clips for the front. The right size clips will put the bolt in tension which is its strongest. The way it looks to me is the twisting of the bolt could loosen and the top plat could slide off because it is already at an angle because of the unequal loading.
This is what I used.
3 years old and 6000 miles no issues.. it is locked with top and bottom nuts very tight

Back