diy solar

diy solar

what size solar generator

Logan 979

plugged in a KWH meter to a small refrigerator 24 hr reading over a week .33 kWh What size solar generator would adequately run this fridge 24/7 ?

plugged in a KWH meter to a small refrigerator 24 hr reading over a week .33 kWh What size solar generator would adequately run this fridge 24/7 ?
The napkin math is as follows:
.33 kWh * 24 hours = 7.92 kWh capacity, one that's capable of 120V at 15-20A minimum. That's for one day.

That being said, refrigerators are going to have some start up in-rush, so you'd want above 8 kWh capacity. And also consider that you probably shouldn't discharge below 80%, so 8kWh / .8 = 10 kWh (capacity)

The reality of solar is that even in sunny states like mine, you'll easily see 3 days without any sun. Maybe as long as a week.

If we plan for a week of no sun, take that 10 kWh * 7 days = 70 kWh

Being 100% battery back up for 7 days on that refrigerator - it's a lot of power (batteries)...

That's not even talking about the panel calculations.

I took it his small Fridge used 330Whrs in a 24hr period

You took it that his small Fridge uses 7920Whrs in a 24hr period

I have a small fridge that uses about 330Whrs per day

@ 7.92kWh @ 365 days per year = 2,890 kWh per year ? ,,, You Got Big Fridges in Texas

Here is a small fridge that uses 327kWh per year.

9A8684F4-9A06-453C-916D-52380B6A3821.jpeg

I took it his small Fridge used 330Whrs in a 24hr period

You took it that his small Fridge uses 7920Whrs in a 24hr period

I have a small fridge that uses about 330Whrs per day

@ 7.92kWh @ 365 days per year = 2,890 kWh per year ? ,,, You Got Big Fridges in Texas

Here is a small fridge that uses 327kWh per year.

View attachment 137204
correct 330 whrs. Thank you

if you are the type to just buy a ready to go unit that will do as Z has described, then a 'solar generator' (search that) Bluetti/Jackery/Ecoflow will all be ready to go, just plug in your fridge.
For about half the cost of a ready made unit, you can DIY a small system in a milk crate or tote or large tool box, if DIY suits you.
I find there is kinda a middle option: MPP1012 (12-volt) or MPP 2724 (24volt) AIO unit that comes with all the plugs on the unit, just connect a battery and a solar panel (you don't have to use a solar panel but it is just plug in) and your ready to go. no wiring to do. just options for you to look into.

Careful with buying those “Solar Generators“ like Bluetti & such;

They sometimes ( usually ), have proprietary “cables” for their connection ports & also have non-common PV solar panels. All that are quite expensive after you buy the Bluetti.

Research that before you buy ,,, if you care. Also they can be very limiting on charging capabilities & again can require the use of proprietary cables for the connections. & the charge rate for some of the connections can be very low.

If you post the “make & model” here, you might benefit from forum members with a bit of experience with the items I referenced above.

Careful with buying those “Solar Generators“ like Bluetti & such;

They sometimes ( usually ), have proprietary “cables” for their connection ports & also have non-common PV solar panels. All that are quite expensive after you buy the Bluetti.

Research that before you buy ,,, if you care. Also they can be very limiting on charging capabilities & again can require the use of proprietary cables for the connections. & the charge rate for some of the connections can be very low.

If you post the “make & model” here, you might benefit from forum members with a bit of experience with the items I referenced above.
Thank you for the heads up, Cheers !

diy solar

diy solar
Back