diy solar

diy solar

What way to go ???

Urge38

Ok, so help/advice/pre order direction needed plz

I have two 12v 100a lifePo4 batteries, I also have a Victron 12v 30amp charger with three outputs,
I use the batteries to power my workshop led lights, and I charge the batteries, each night (only need one battery per day) at home.

Now I own a very small VW campervan I wish to use part of my set up with

I am unsure if I should just go 24v from the start or stick to a 12v system as I have the Victron 230v to 12v charger

I know 24v is better in some ways, but it brings problems in other ways,

sticking with 12v I don't need to power on a inverter for 12v things like lights, usb etc etc

saying that, I can buy 24v lights, and 24v into 12v out usb sockets

Its all swings and round abouts and I am not sure what way to go

I DONT have a inverter as let, nor a MPPT (not sure if I will go solar at all if I am honest) nor do I have a 12v to 24v converter.

I am at the start so can go either way, 24v or 12v

as I said, all I have at the moment is two 12v 100a battery's and a 230v to 12v Victron charger

12v makes the most sense unless a larger system. Some usb supports 24v, typical usb is 5v but phone chargers can be 20v so they already adapt the voltage and everything

I had fun and learned a lot building a 12 volt Victron system. Eventually got a 12 volt inverter.

Then I jumped up to a full house 48 volt system.

The 12 volt is nice to have as a garage backup system for lighting, tool charging, radio, etc.

I feel pretty good about skipping the 24 volt.

I had fun and learned a lot building a 12 volt Victron system. Eventually got a 12 volt inverter.

Then I jumped up to a full house 48 volt system.

The 12 volt is nice to have as a garage backup system for lighting, tool charging, radio, etc.

I feel pretty good about skipping the 24 volt.
I have a mega 20,000 kwh 48v system at my work place , this is just for my campervan,

Ok, so help/advice/pre order direction needed plz

I have two 12v 100a lifePo4 batteries, I also have a Victron 12v 30amp charger with three outputs,
I use the batteries to power my workshop led lights, and I charge the batteries, each night (only need one battery per day) at home.

Now I own a very small VW campervan I wish to use part of my set up with

I am unsure if I should just go 24v from the start or stick to a 12v system as I have the Victron 230v to 12v charger

I know 24v is better in some ways, but it brings problems in other ways,

sticking with 12v I don't need to power on a inverter for 12v things like lights, usb etc etc

saying that, I can buy 24v lights, and 24v into 12v out usb sockets

Its all swings and round abouts and I am not sure what way to go

I DONT have a inverter as let, nor a MPPT (not sure if I will go solar at all if I am honest) nor do I have a 12v to 24v converter.

I am at the start so can go either way, 24v or 12v

as I said, all I have at the moment is two 12v 100a battery's and a 230v to 12v Victron charger
If your only load is some lights I would stick with 12V, choose the Victron Phoenix of your choice. they max out at 1200VA in the smaller form factor, and you already have the 12/30 charger. My 48/1200 is far more capable than the 1200VA rating would imply. If you are going to run bigger appliances like a microwave, kettle etc may need to step up to a 12/3000 multiplus but for smaller use I think a 12/1200 would be a good fit.

Last edited:
In a vehicle I would stick with 12 volt unless I had a need for a really big inverter that needs a higher voltage. With your 2 little batteries I suspect you aren't there yet.

one concern was the need or perhaps the not wanted need for gas

here in the uk, natural gas is not cheap, BUT it does take the strain off my electrical needs

one more question, lets say the Victron 12/1200 phoenix, it has only one outlet, here in the uk it is a 3-pin socket, are you limited to one appliance per time, or can you run say a 3-socket extension cord from the inverter and power say three items at one all under the maximum power rating???

one concern was the need or perhaps the not wanted need for gas

here in the uk, natural gas is not cheap, BUT it does take the strain off my electrical needs
It's going to be hard to replicate the energy density of gas for higher loads with battery in a small camper.

one more question, lets say the Victron 12/1200 phoenix, it has only one outlet, here in the uk it is a 3-pin socket, are you limited to one appliance per time, or can you run say a 3-socket extension cord from the inverter and power say three items at one all under the maximum power rating???
Use a cord that can handle the amperage. The inverter will shut down when overloaded

Yes I run my Victron with a bunch of power strips and extension cords. As long as you stay below it's general overload levels (tends to shutdown after a significant amount of time at 1400VA or above). I'm running main fridge freezer, a small 7 cuft chest and 21 cuft upright, an 8000 btu inverter window ac unit along with network gear etc off mine. Have to watch if one of them goes into a defrost cycle tho that can get me into overload territory.

Yes I run my Victron with a bunch of power strips and extension cords. As long as you stay below it's general overload levels (tends to shutdown after a significant amount of time at 1400VA or above). I'm running main fridge freezer, a small 7 cuft chest and 21 cuft upright, an 8000 btu inverter window ac unit along with network gear etc off mine. Have to watch if one of them goes into a defrost cycle tho that can get me into overload territory.
I was sure this caused issues with ground neutral bonding

I also run a power strip of the Victron 12/1200. I think they just included one plug to make it simple.

A 15 bulb led light string, 10’ ceiling fan, radio, charging tool batteries, etc. Nice little unit.

I also run a power strip of the Victron 12/1200. I think they just included one plug to make it simple.
They do make a 120V Pheonix with a duplex GFCI outlet now to achieve ul458 certification, also required by latest boating regs I think. But I prefer single outlet with nothing that needs a physical push of reset button if it trips.

A 15 bulb led light string, 10’ ceiling fan, radio, charging tool batteries, etc. Nice little unit.
hate to be contivertial, but I am Prity sure it's not the way to go !!!!

unless the inverter is ground to neutral bounded, you really need to make that connection yourself if you are running multiple outlets (ie a extension cord with more than one plug)

hate to be contivertial, but I am Prity sure it's not the way to go !!!!

unless the inverter is ground to neutral bounded, you really need to make that connection yourself if you are running multiple outlets (ie a extension cord with more than one plug)

I’m not sure what point you are making. While I agree that the inverter should be grounded for safety reasons. I’m not aware of the need to establish a neutral ground bond independently.

I’m not sure what point you are making. While I agree that the inverter should be grounded for safety reasons. I’m not aware of the need to establish a neutral ground bond independently.
watch the video, I had to do this with my 20,kw Shneider system, the principal is the same, believe me

diy solar

diy solar
Back