diy solar

diy solar

What's the best way to transport ~20 solar panels

diyreg

I am considering purchasing ~20 used panels. I'll need to transport them ~70 miles and I would need to rent a truck or van.
1) What's the best way to safely transport the panels?
2) Position them vertically or horizontally?
3) Place something between adjacent panels?
4) Other precautions?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Picking up used panels = uhaul. Its just the best way to go.

As for packing material you need to raid a local supermarkets loading dock or garbage area. You should be able to lay your hands on a ton of empty boxes. Break those down and instant solar panel dividers.

I bought 20 panels from Santan Solar and they were delivered just like @Solarisium's pictures, stacked horizontally on a pallet and wrapped together with plastic film and tied together with those green straps. They were also faced down like in the pictures.

As long as the corners are stacked accurately and the stack is held together without shifting, horizontal is fine (notice the corner guards) , you culd make wood corner guards from 1x4 pine which will allow tight banding.

Signature solar ships their panels on edge. According to them, they've found this method has resulted in the least damaged panels.
I ordered a skid and 11 additional. Both skids arrived that way. The full skid looked like it hadn't been opened, so I believe they receive them that way.

I have picked up dozens of used panels.
Unless you have a banding machine and pallet in your truck with you, the warehouse method of shipping doesn't apply to you.

I had to load the panels myself, or with assistance...
I stacked them on edge.
Tied them to the wall of the van.
A uhaul is yhe simplest method. The wood rails in their vans are perfect to lean against, and simple to tie securely.
Rope is easy to manipulate, but ya need to know a few knots.
I like the sheep shank or truckers knot.
Super easy to tie and untie, and very secure.

1. Secure the panels from ANY twisting forces
2. Placing cardboard or another separator between them with prevent frame scratches, but serves no other purpose.
3. Don't stack them more than 25-30 panels high.

Whether its face up/down, or on edge only matters if you expect twisting. If, for instance, you buy cheap pallets or overload them, then a misplaced fork lift one corner of the pallet could result in a twist or bow that will stress the panel glass and frames. Putting them on edge resolves that concern, but only as long as you guarantee nothing is going to push the panels from the sides. I suspect base twisting is more common than side twisting.

Further, while nothing should be stacked on top of a pallet of panels, it can happen in the shipping industry. Edge vertical panels will withstand this slightly better, but only just slightly

Since you're moving them by hand, you can do it however you like. If I were in your shoes I'd stack them flat with corner braces and moving straps because I wouldn't be confident I could pack and stack them sideways in a secure enough way to avoid tipping/sloughing.

Just keep them from moving and twisting and you'll be fine.

There's a stack of 20 panels. All stacked on top of each other with nothing in between. I ran a few straps across and drove ~160 miles with them.
They were banded to the pallet.
No issues.

Attachments

• IMG_20220701_174920__01.jpg
    IMG_20220701_174920__01.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 16
When I move panels I put them on a pallet for easy unloading. And I strap them together with 2 of ratchable straps on the short side and 1 on the long side.
I usually don't go above 20 panels stacked on each other. As long as you have the frames on frames and they can't move compared to eachother. Put them against the front of the car like a bulkhead of a pickup truck, use some 2x3 wood to make it sturdy over the whole length of the stack

Depending on size of the panels you might to put 2 in series to extend the length.

Make sure the hooks/ratchet end up and the sides of the aluminum frames and not on top of the glass

Last edited:
I still have a couple dozen panels in the back of my van strapped in if ya need pics of how I loaded them.
Banded to a pallet and loaded in with a forklift sure would've been nice... but I had to hand load each one... so is did what was safest.

This is how 18 panels were delivered two day ago. I put the 2x4 in to try and stabilize them. They were rocking and swaying a lot. Unstacking them today. My confidence in panels performance longevity is very low.... Suggestions on what to look for in terms of damage? Frame bent, cracked glass, check VOC?

Bad Day 1.jpg

This is how 18 panels were delivered two day ago. I put the 2x4 in to try and stabilize them. They were rocking and swaying a lot. Unstacking them today. My confidence in panels performance longevity is very low.... Suggestions on what to look for in terms of damage? Frame bent, cracked glass, check VOC?

View attachment 161193
As long as there isn't any cracked glass or seriously bent panels it should be fine but that one side of panels looks pretty beat up and wouldn't be surprised if that end panel is trashed.

View attachment 161193
Yikes!
Looks like the load fell off the truck!
Bottom of the original pallet is gone, they stuck it on top of a smaller pallet… looks like the fork slammed into the bottom panel, slid up into the second from bottom panel, who knows how many got damaged… I would have refused the order! Just, wow…

Yikes!
Looks like the load fell off the truck!
Bottom of the original pallet is gone, they stuck it on top of a smaller pallet… looks like the fork slammed into the bottom panel, slid up into the second from bottom panel, who knows how many got damaged… I would have refused the order! Just, wow…

Could not see the damage until it was unloaded. Prior to purchasing and shipping I discussed potential shipping problems/damages and was told by the retailer to accept panels even if some damage occurred. I spoke with the retailer and sent pics after receiving panels and they said I did the right thing accepting the panels...

My guess - the fork hit the bottom rail and snapped/broke the end slats. The bottom end panel only has two dents up high in the middle of the panel. The bottom of the end panel has no visual damage. Nor does the cardboard. The plastic was torn/pulled when the bottom slats were snapped. Again, just my best guess.

As long as there isn't any cracked glass or seriously bent panels it should be fine but that one side of panels looks pretty beat up and wouldn't be surprised if that end panel is trashed.

That end panel was jabbed in the middle of the panel and has some slight dents, no dents low near bottom though. It is a definite shipping claim. I did order three extra per recommendations of members and the retailer.

Back