diy solar

diy solar

Where to get Bus Bars?

I don't have space restraints. I would connect each battery, fused, to a BusBar. That would give me the maximum 100 amperes from each battery and 400 amperes, fused, from the BusBar to the system. There are problems posible doing this, but less than using solid inter-battery connectors.

I'm making my own bus bars for connecting components. See the link below.

If you're pressed for space, a copper bus bar can use less space than a 2/0 cable with lugs on each end.

Obtaining quality copper flat bar stock has been challenging. My first order (6' lengths of 1/8"x3/4" and 1/4"x3/4") took almost four weeks to arrive. The second order required a bit less. That was an online purchase from a metal vendor that I've used before and had good service from. I tried to source the same materials from a local vendor - for pickup - and they wanted at least three times the price and it wouldn't have been available for two weeks.

I'm using the Blue Sea PowerBar 1000. It's a monster of a common bus bar. It takes up a lot of real estate in my compartment. While I really like the PowerBar, I have some minor issues with it that I may clarify in a future thread that I'm thinking would be titled "Designing the Common Ultimate Bus Bar".

I'm making my own bus bars for connecting components. See the link below.

If you're pressed for space, a copper bus bar can use less space than a 2/0 cable with lugs on each end.

Obtaining quality copper flat bar stock has been challenging. My first order (6' lengths of 1/8"x3/4" and 1/4"x3/4") took almost four weeks to arrive. The second order required a bit less. That was an online purchase from a metal vendor that I've used before and had good service from. I tried to source the same materials from a local vendor - for pickup - and they wanted at least three times the price and it wouldn't have been available for two weeks.

I'm using the Blue Sea PowerBar 1000. It's a monster of a common bus bar. It takes up a lot of real estate in my compartment. While I really like the PowerBar, I have some minor issues with it that I may clarify in a future thread that I'm thinking would be titled "Designing the Common Ultimate Bus Bar".

Your buss bars came out nicely!

I make my own using 1/4" thick, 1 1/2 wide aluminum bars. I'm not sure of the amp handling capacity but I'm feeding 100 amps thru them & they only get a little warmer than the ambient temp. A 10ft stick will run ya $15-20.

Last edited:
Any opinions on this bus bar? I was looking a putting one of these on my small system.

In one of the Q/A posts the vendor says it's good to 750 amps! That seems a bit optimistic but let's say you never exceed 400 amps. That's still a great deal. The mounting does suck a bit since the bottom bolts stick out.

I like that it has 5/16" studs instead of 3/8". The mounting studs may be a bit close to the edge, which would cause your lug to hang over the edge reducing the surface contact area. That observation may be a bit nit picky. My Blue Sea 1000 amp bus bar has the same problem. Below is a picture of what I'm talking about. Note how the big cable at the bottom hangs over the edge.

1645748881564.png

In one of the Q/A posts the vendor says it's good to 750 amps! That seems a bit optimistic but let's say you never exceed 400 amps. That's still a great deal. The mounting does suck a bit since the bottom bolts stick out.

I like that it has 5/16" studs instead of 3/8". The mounting studs may be a bit close to the edge, which would cause your lug to hang over the edge reducing the surface contact area. That observation may be a bit nit picky. My Blue Sea 1000 amp bus bar has the same problem. Below is a picture of what I'm talking about. Note how the big cable at the bottom hangs over the edge.

View attachment 85158
Yes, I see what mean. Excellent observation! This will go on my three 100Ah AGM battery bank (puts on flame retardant suit) :). Should work for it but I'm planning a much larger system so that may become a concern. Thanks for pointing that out.

For my system I used 1/2" type L copper pipe. Just cut off the size you need and pound it flat with a press of hammer. Drill some holes in it. Sand it down. Plate it with a home aid nickel plating solution. Put shrink wrap on it and you are good to go. The voltage drops at 100 amp are around 2mv. The bus bars that I made outperform the ones I received when I purchased my batteries. I tried making some with heavy wire and lugs and they just did not perform well.

Attachments

• 20220224_204322.jpg
    20220224_204322.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 20220224_204210.jpg
    20220224_204210.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 20220224_204139.jpg
    20220224_204139.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 28
For my system I used 1/2" type L copper pipe. Just cut off the size you need and pound it flat with a press of hammer. Drill some holes in it. Sand it down. Plate it with a home aid nickel plating solution. Put shrink wrap on it and you are good to go. The voltage drops at 100 amp are around 2mv. The bus bars that I made outperform the ones I received when I purchased my batteries. I tried making some with heavy wire and lugs and they just did not perform well.
Looks good

Rated 1000a Victron Power In.

Attachments

• 03CCA17A-D070-4309-8607-A521E812B4F2.jpeg
    03CCA17A-D070-4309-8607-A521E812B4F2.jpeg
    1,005.6 KB · Views: 13
Back