diy solar

diy solar

Where to get Bus Bars?

Neon

I have seen many layout photos of systems here on this forum that show bus bars connecting components like the battery On/Off switches to a Victron Lynx Distributors, or to T-Fuse holders, etc. They appear to be around 4"-6" in length. They also do not appear to be copper colored (although they could be coated).

I am aware that some people might be making their own, but many some these appear to be purchased. When I do a search for bus bars, I can find a few smaller amperage bars, or distribution blocks (which I don't need). My t-Fuse will be 400A, so I will need something that is capable of amperage over this.

I am basically trying to avoid making short 4"-6" 4/0 cables. Hope this makes sense.

My question is does anyone have a place where I can purchase some bus bars like this?

Attachments

• Bus Bar Example.jpg
    Bus Bar Example.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 55
They are the battery bus bars you get with cells.
The battery bus bars for cells look similar, but their amperage ratings appear to be smaller that what I would need. Need 300a-350a continuous.

Referring to Lynx adapters, you can get them here.

I am curious. What battery / cells are you using that will continuous flow that much current?

I am curious. What battery / cells are you using that will continuous flow that much current?
To be honest, not sure how much I am going to pull. My components are:

• 4 X 206 SOK Batteries
  • 400a Class T Fuse
  • Blue Sea Systems - Battery Switch 350a continuous
  • 4/0 wire
  • Victron Energy MultiPlus 12/3000/120-50
Going to be running everything in the RV from this...including the AC. BTW, AC is going to be a Mabru 12V System. I just don't want those connectors/bus bars to be the weakest link.

To be honest, not sure how much I am going to pull. My components are:

• 4 X 206 SOK Batteries
  • 400a Class T Fuse
  • Blue Sea Systems - Battery Switch 350a continuous
  • 4/0 wire
  • Victron Energy MultiPlus 12/3000/120-50
Lets just pretend va = watts for the multiplus to account for the mutiplus's surge capacity.
3000 ac watts / 85 conversion factor / 12 volts low cutoff = 294.117647059 service amps
294.117647059 service amps / .8 fuse headroom = 367.647058824 fault amps.
That means 4/0 awg wire with a 400 amp fuse minimum.
All the joinery bits need to be able to handle 400 amps minimum.

Lets just pretend va = watts for the multiplus to account for the mutiplus's surge capacity.
3000 ac watts / 85 conversion factor / 12 volts low cutoff = 294.117647059 service amps
294.117647059 service amps / .8 fuse headroom = 367.647058824 fault amps.
That means 4/0 awg wire with a 400 amp fuse minimum.
All the joinery bits need to be able to handle 400 amps minimum.
I love when someone knows that they are doing...I am just fumbling my way through it, but so far my components seem OK. That is why I was logging for a robust Link Bus.

I love when someone knows that they are doing...I am just fumbling my way through it, but so far my components seem OK. That is why I was logging for a robust Link Bus.
Your disconnect switch seem to be under spec.
What is the continous current rating for your Sok batteries?

I am basically trying to avoid making short 4"-6" 4/0 cables. Hope this makes sense.
My 4” to 6” 4/0 cables were as stiff as bus bars. It’s basically a lug that is an inch long at either end with 2” of cable between. I used welding wire and a 2” length of welding wire is not that flexible.

It was slightly more flexible than the 1/4” busbar I used. The Busbar I used needed to tighten that first on both ends and then put spacers underneath and then connect the components. Of course the Blue Sea fuse holder for the 125 amp class T with 1/4” studs and my 250 amp busbar with 5/16ths studs were not level when tightened down. I needed some spacer under the class T fuse holder.

"Max Discharge Current:100 A"
According to the SOK spec sheet that's actually the "max continuous discharge current". The spec sheet states it will handle 200A for up to 3 seconds and the BMS will shutdown at 330A in 6 ~ 16ms.

Copper is so soft and easy to work with I definitely recommend looking at copper bar stock and making your own. I used 3/8 rounded edge bar and insulators from Amazon and it was less expensive and far more effective than something pre-built.

Edit: I got the insulators from Amazon, not the bar stock. Plenty of metal distributors.

According to the SOK spec sheet that's actually the "max continuous discharge current". The spec sheet states it will handle 200A for up to 3 seconds and the BMS will shutdown at 330A in 6 ~ 16ms.
Actually, according to SOK, the BMS can handle a max continuous discharge current of 130A but they recommend 100A.

Back