diy solar

diy solar

cheap! Kobalt 2 AWG jumper cables as 48 volt battery cables to bus bars

solarHandyman

This are crazy cheap at Lowes Home Improvement, $29, 16 feet, black and red gives you 32 linear feet. Now, they might not be pure copper inside, but I used them when I ran out of THHN from Wire and Cable your way on wiring my last 16s cell pack to the battery bus bar. They crimp great in a 2 AWG copper lug (I use the hammer one). The only problem I saw was splitting the red and black wires the full 16 feet actually exposed a litte of the copper the way molded PVC jacket tore. I wrapped it in electrical tape. Probably should redo the tape with liquid tape. No issues, no smoke thus far! I've only been pushing at most 35 amps to the one battery at peak solar. I have seven 16s LiFePO4 groups totaling 75 KWH of storage running to 2 inch x 1/4 inch copper bus bars.

I have not played with them. The following comments are based on the link you provided.
* The 450A rating is NOT a continuous current rating. There is no 2AWG wire in the world that can handle 450A continuous.
* At that price, there is a reasonably good chance the wire is copper-clad aluminum.

It's cheap for a reason. I wouldn't push more than 75a through it and I would replace it.

"Is this Jumper Cable set UL Listed? and is the Conduct Material 100% Copper? or Copper-clad aluminium (CCA)?Anonymous on December 5, 2020
It is not UL Listed. The conduct material is copper-clad aluminum (CCA).
By Customer Service on December 7, 2020"

It visibly looks like copper clad aluminum when you cut it. I'm probably going to keep it in place for the one battery unless I have a bunch of 4 AWG THHN left over from my AC sub-panel wiring. Graybar currently has the best price for 2 AWG THHN retail (counter service) by the foot, black only unfortunately. They've always sold to me as a homeowner no problem.

Back