diy solar

diy solar

Which give most. Fixed south or single axix tracker east west

Havouza15

Which give most. Fixed south or single axix tracker east west.
I have the possibility to place my array fixed on the roof in South, or a ground mounted array on a single axis tracker mount east to west. Which placement will give most power per day

If by single tracker going E-W you mean the panels will still be pointed South but can track E-W then yes that will offer a noticeable benefit vs the fixed roof mount. Keep in mind this will add a chunk of money to the build, not just the tracking but also more for the ground mount itself.

Sorry double posted. Can't take it away
If by single tracker going E-W you mean the panels will still be pointed South but can track E-W then yes that will offer a noticeable benefit vs the fixed roof mount. Keep in mind this will add a chunk of money to the build, not just the tracking but also more for the ground mount itself.
No the array will point east-west and follow the sun from morning to evening

.. the array will point east-west and follow the sun from morning to evening
Can you explain how in more detail - don't see how it can be both of the above? If it is following the sun, the west should be facing east in the morning (assuming you are in the northern hemisphere).

It's an array with 2x10 panels. Mounted on a groundmount that can be turned by a slew drive. In the morning it points directly towards where the sun comes up in the east and then follow the sun in 1 axis towards the west until sundown.

OK - think that's just referred to as 1 axis tracking. E-W usually refers to half panels facing E and half facing west. IIRC I have read that single axis tracking improves monthly output by up to 30% (or rather, 20% to 30% per month depending on time of year), but obviously with the added costs of the tracking mounts.

OK - think that's just referred to as 1 axis tracking. E-W usually refers to half panels facing E and half facing west. IIRC I have read that single axis tracking improves annual output by around 30%, but obviously with the added costs of the tracking mounts.
In this case the cost I am prepared to take. I live in Cyprus, we have normally 320 full sun days so the array together with batteries will take care of most power needs. I will also export the excess to the grid and in this country you can buy it all back for 3.5 cent when you need it. So the batteries will only be used when there is no power to buy back. Our total price per kWh just now is 37 cent so the payback time get shorter and shorter

It depends on if the single tracking axis is vertical or horizontal. And if the fixed axis is at optimal angle.
And your location in regards to the equator.
But generally a tracking array will produce more power than a fixed one. But it's not worth the cost, unless you are limited by space.

It depends on if the single tracking axis is vertical or horizontal. And if the fixed axis is at optimal angle.
And your location in regards to the equator.
But generally a tracking array will produce more power than a fixed one. But it's not worth the cost, unless you are limited by space.
The axis is horisontal. My latitude is about 30 degrees.on the north hemisphere.
But a 30 % increase in power make it definitely worth the extra cost even if I have no space limitations. On the roof we have a lot of limitation. The south facing roof is also shadowed in the afternoon because the building is L shaped.

Ordinarily I would say that it isn’t worth your time or money chasing the sun for the small benefit you would see with tracking. 20-30% isn’t really that much for the extra effort. However, your cost of 37¢ per kWh is substantial and you being able to buy back at 3.7¢ is such a difference that it makes complete sense to me to want to track the sun this way. But, it really depends on your actual usage during the peak hours where you are paying 37¢ per kWh. You may simply find it more beneficial to simply turn off a few lights during that time.
Again, you really just need to figure the actual costs and savings to make a better informed decision. For me, it was just cheaper to buy more panels than to chase the sun.

If you have already made up your mind.
I'm not sure why you created this thread.

If the tracking array's axis is relatively level you will make lots of power in the summer but in winter when the sun is tracking low in the sky you may not produce a lot of power. Are you going to be off grid , making and depending on your own power? If grid tied the large summer production may be beneficial, depending on your agreement with the power company.

Ordinarily I would say that it isn’t worth your time or money chasing the sun for the small benefit you would see with tracking. 20-30% isn’t really that much for the extra effort. However, your cost of 37¢ per kWh is substantial and you being able to buy back at 3.7¢ is such a difference that it makes complete sense to me to want to track the sun this way. But, it really depends on your actual usage during the peak hours where you are paying 37¢ per kWh. You may simply find it more beneficial to simply turn off a few lights during that time.
Again, you really just need to figure the actual costs and savings to make a better informed decision. For me, it was just cheaper to buy more panels than to chase the sun.
We have no difference in pricing. We pay 37 cent 24h per day. Our usage looks like this. 6moths per year we run ac to cool down the house. 3 months we heat the house with infrared panels and the rest we use neither.

I live in Cyprus, we have normally 320 full sun…. you can buy it all back for 3.5 cent when you need it…. Our total price per kWh just now is 37 cent
I was confused by your statements above. If in fact you pay the same regardless of how much you put back into the grid, then screw the grid. Get yourself more panels and mount them fixed. Sounds like you get plenty of sun and have plenty of space for panels. You will need more storage if anything.

Which give most. Fixed south or single axix tracker east west.
I have the possibility to place my array fixed on the roof in South, or a ground mounted array on a single axis tracker mount east to west. Which placement will give most power per day
The tracker will of course, however you forget the other axis that comes into play with the seasons.

You might be better served with a tilting array fixed south than a single axis tracker. Extra cost is minimal, the tilting array will allow higher yield thru the winter months.

Go to this site, input the numbers in the calculators and make the comparison for various mounting options. https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/tools.html#api_5.1

The tracker will of course, however you forget the other axis that comes into play with the seasons.

You might be better served with a tilting array fixed south than a single axis tracker. Extra cost is minimal, the tilting array will allow higher yield thru the winter months.

Go to this site, input the numbers in the calculators and make the comparison for various mounting options. https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/tools.html#api_5.1
I really don't understand what you mean. What is a tilting array fixed south?

Even if free, solar trackers can be a maintenance headache.
For $/watt, it is typically cheaper without a tracker.
What is a tilting array fixed south?
A fixed array doesn't move at all and therefore has a fixed tilt, the "best"
angle depends on latitude and usage needs.

A single-axis array typically has the panels with a fixed-tilt to the south
(in the northern hemisphere) and the panels rotate following the
east/west rotation to track the sun.

A dual-axis array adjusts both the north-south (to track the sun
seasonally) and east-west (to track the daily movement).
AEST-5-144-g006.gif

Last edited:
Even if free, single-axis solar trackers can be a maintenance headache.
For $/watt, it is typically cheaper without a tracker.

A fixed array doesn't move at all and therefore has a fixed tilt, the "best"
angle depends on lattitude and usage needs.

A single-axis array typically has the panels with a fixed-tilt to the south
(in the northern hemisphere) and the panels rotate following the
east/west rotation to track the sun.

A dual-axis array adjusts both the north-south (to track the sun
seasonally) and east-west (to track the daily movement).
Single-axis-horizontal-axis-and-vertical-axis-and-Dual-axis-tracking-system-representation.gif

I was confused by your statements above. If in fact you pay the same regardless of how much you put back into the grid, then screw the grid. Get yourself more panels and mount them fixed. Sounds like you get plenty of sun and have plenty of space for panels. You will need more storage if anything.
In this country it is illegal to go off grid. If that was an option it would have happened long ago.
It was how you wrote that confused me. I know the basics very well. Still I can't see why the extra cost is not worth it..

... Still I can't see why the extra cost is not worth it..

Should be simple to work out... you just need to calculate the extra cost for the tracking hardware, including maintenance costs over 20 years and then compare that to the cost of adding 25% more fixed panels.

Back