diy solar

diy solar

Which power supply for Riden RD6018

Savern

The RD6018W kit is offed with a choice of 800 or 1000 watt power supply.
Which one is best?
Is bigger better?
Will the larger unit fit in the case?
Thank you.

The RD6018W kit is offed with a choice of 800 or 1000 watt power supply.
Which one is best?
Is bigger better?
Will the larger unit fit in the case?
Thank you.
At full output, the RD6018 is capable of 1080 watts (60 volts X 18 amps = 1080 watts). The instructions for the 1000 watt supply say that for 110 volt operation to set the power limit to 950 watts since apparently it isn't capable of outputting the full 1000 watts except on 220 volts. I have ordered one and will let you know.

I own both the RD6012 and the RD6018, and the original 800 watt supply offered is not capable of even the 720 watts output of the RD6012 unless you make a modification. It is however a higher quality supply than most Chinese supplies. RD seems to do a pretty good job of ensuring they only sell high quality parts.

Currently the RD6018w kit is on sale for $166 including UPS expedited shipping (and the 1000 watt supply), which is a good value.
Before they offered the 1000 watt supply, I purchased a couple of the Lincoiah 1200 watt supplies, but I would not recommend them (internal 24v fan with no speed control, and facing the wrong direction). They sound like a jet taking off, and run pretty hot.

For the 800 watt supplies they offer (NVV brand), you can do an easy modification to allow the RD6012 to output the full 720 watts it is capable of (I also replaced the 12v exhaust fan with a Noctua fan, very much recommend this if noise is a problem).
Jerry Walker did a 4 part series reviewing the RD6012, and in video number 3 he shows the change (basically 2 parts inserted into spaces kindly left open in the power supply instead of the single part).

The parts I ordered and used, and then tested at the full 720 watt output for 3 hours.

You will also need some thermal grease and insulators.

Thanks for your help @Just John
I ordered the RD6018 with the 1000 watt PS
I had watched Jerry Walker videos but they pertained to the RD6012.
I was unsure if the 1000 watt would fit in the case. We shall see.

Thanks for your help @Just John
I ordered the RD6018 with the 1000 watt PS
I had watched Jerry Walker videos but they pertained to the RD6012.
I was unsure if the 1000 watt would fit in the case. We shall see.
Oh, Riden does a video showing the 1000 watt supply that shows how to derate the output if you use 110v rather than 220v.

I think none of us here need a 1000w PS for the Ridens.

Say you have a 48v battery,

52v * 18 = 900 watts.

I am not sure if you have a 48v battery, anything less, you can buy a smaller PS.

I think none of us here need a 1000w PS for the Ridens.

Say you have a 48v battery,

52v * 18 = 900 watts.

I am not sure if you have a 48v battery, anything less, you can buy a smaller PS.
You can also hook them up as "solar input" to your charge controller and get a lot more amps, just FYI.

3.65 x 16 = 58.4
58.4 x 18 = 1051.2

Currently the price difference from the 800 watt to the 1000 watt supply is $10.

Last edited:
@Just John
What power supply are you currently using to get those max 60V 18A of RD6018? A link will be helpful.
Riden in Aliexpress recommends me the Lincoiah 1200W but as you've said, it runs super hot and very noisy.

@Just John
What power supply are you currently using to get those max 60V 18A of RD6018? A link will be helpful.
Riden in Aliexpress recommends me the Lincoiah 1200W but as you've said, it runs super hot and very noisy.
Right now I have one with the Lincoiah, and the rest are limited by the 1000w supply. If you would like to try the Lincoiah, you pay shipping and I have 3 still in the box.

Right now I have one with the Lincoiah, and the rest are limited by the 1000w supply. If you would like to try the Lincoiah, you pay shipping and I have 3 still in the box.
Lincoiah brand switching power supply has peak voltage which can be suddenly increased to over 100V, it exceeds the input limit of the device you want to power on, they need to improve their quality control

Attachments

• 6024---副本.jpg
    6024---副本.jpg
    652 KB · Views: 2
@Just John
don't use Lincoiah power supply, quality is very very bad, it can output instant high voltage to burnt RD6018, you can see the feedback at the selling page , it is already in RD power supply back list
in fact , RD6018 can use their recommended 1000w psu , at 220V, it can let RD6018 output 60v/18a

Lincoiah brand switching power supply has peak voltage which can be suddenly increased to over 100V, it exceeds the input limit of the device you want to power on, they need to improve their quality control

Yes, the Lincoiah brand are garbage.

The RD6024 makes a very good programmable charger for 24v batteries, for about $10 more than the Victron (plus it does top balancing). It's quite a good deal and very versatile.. Even very good third party software for it. I'm quite happy with the 18 amp version.

Wow, I didn't know they made a 24 Amp version!

I am currently using my RD6018W with the 1000w power supply, sold together as a package, right now to charge my lithium ion 48v battery pack from my generator because I am off the grid. I have been using this daily for about 2-3 hours the past few months. One 100lb propane tank lasts me 20 days.

I set it to 14.4A at 54.4V. I usually just stop it at 52v because the generator is mostly idle after 53-54v, and that's a waste of fuel. Using the app I can see when I need to start the generator up again from my desk.

Also, even though its a 1000w power supply, the temperature (according to the app) goes above 51C if I use anything above 15amp. I think this is a good power supply, but I don't trust it above 51C. I don't want to kill it.

The best part is I can turn off my generator and the RD6018 still works, wifi and all. I can login to it and see my battery bank voltage. I can also see it from my Victron 48/375VA inverter's bluetooth so I usually just turn it off. With the power disconnected and running from the battery, I calculate the RD6018 uses about 10 watts per hour idle.

The wifi is an app on android and kind of sucks. It sometimes does not work and requires a reboot.

I don't trust these connectors at high amps, but I found some gold connectors that seem to work well.

Has anyone done anything open source with Riden? That would be cool

I might buy the 24A version but I don't think I need it.

Yes, the Lincoiah brand are garbage.

The RD6024 makes a very good programmable charger for 24v batteries, for about $10 more than the Victron (plus it does top balancing). It's quite a good deal and very versatile.. Even very good third party software for it. I'm quite happy with the 18 amp version.
for current , it depends people needs, some people like big current

Wow, I didn't know they made a 24 Amp version!

I am currently using my RD6018W with the 1000w power supply, sold together as a package, right now to charge my lithium ion 48v battery pack from my generator because I am off the grid. I have been using this daily for about 2-3 hours the past few months. One 100lb propane tank lasts me 20 days.

I set it to 14.4A at 54.4V. I usually just stop it at 52v because the generator is mostly idle after 53-54v, and that's a waste of fuel. Using the app I can see when I need to start the generator up again from my desk.

Also, even though its a 1000w power supply, the temperature (according to the app) goes above 51C if I use anything above 15amp. I think this is a good power supply, but I don't trust it above 51C. I don't want to kill it.

The best part is I can turn off my generator and the RD6018 still works, wifi and all. I can login to it and see my battery bank voltage. I can also see it from my Victron 48/375VA inverter's bluetooth so I usually just turn it off. With the power disconnected and running from the battery, I calculate the RD6018 uses about 10 watts per hour idle.

The wifi is an app on android and kind of sucks. It sometimes does not work and requires a reboot.

I don't trust these connectors at high amps, but I found some gold connectors that seem to work well.

Has anyone done anything open source with Riden? That would be cool

I might buy the 24A version but I don't think I need it.
very good feeback for that. RD power suppply have many version , RD6018 is 18A, RD6024 is 24A. if you want to repair phone or computor , you can choose RD6012P , very lower ripple , 5 digit.
for APP , it is not best , but it can be used.
for open source , there is Russia person do that , but RD team said open source can affect some function

From Ruideng compnay information, they just published RD6024. at first 5 fays, the price is very cheaper is lower than RD6018
Welcome to the forum, I was looking forward to that PS, I picked one up already.
Yeah, make sure you post per forum rules for Corps.

You guys a HUGE following in USA, why not ship this stuff locally and pass on the savings to us?

Also, maybe RD can hook us with a UL rated 60v 900w ish PS.

Hey guys, I am having second thoughts on my RD6018 for charging 48v

Suddenly my positive leed, which uses a gold plated connector, is heating up due to a bad connection? It appears to be melting at amps above 14 amp. Because I use this daily, this is a concern. It won't come off.

I'm worried if you buy the 24A one and start using it for more than an hour, it will also melt.

Any solution? I am not sure how to make this connection better. If there's a solution, let me know (kind of urgent). I have a 24A 48v on order from signature solar, but haven't heard about my shipping in two weeks. I might end up in the dark for a bit!

Hey guys, I am having second thoughts on my RD6018 for charging 48v

Suddenly my positive leed, which uses a gold plated connector, is heating up due to a bad connection? It appears to be melting at amps above 14 amp. Because I use this daily, this is a concern. It won't come off.

I'm worried if you buy the 24A one and start using it for more than an hour, it will also melt.

Any solution? I am not sure how to make this connection better. If there's a solution, let me know (kind of urgent). I have a 24A 48v on order from signature solar, but haven't heard about my shipping in two weeks. I might end up in the dark for a bit!
Yes, it will MELT if you use the spade connectors with the 16 awg cables (guessing) that came with it,

I crimped 12 awg and 10 awg beefy spades and they still warmed up.

Looking around I found that you need to use a BANANA plug,
The 6024 mentions this overtly.

Any clue what diameter banana plugs will fit the RDs?

Update: LOL. It just died. It shows 24v. I have 50% battery left until I get new parts. Until then I guess i'm shut down.

edit: ordered some more parts, haha

Last edited:
Update: LOL. It just died. It shows 24v. I have 50% battery left until I get parts from Signature Solar. Until then I guess i'm shut down

I am using a gold plated bannana plug and 6 AWG wire

@SignatureSolarUS Help, I'm screwed. If you could please ship the Dec 29 order to David at Neigel's farm in Selma, Oregon. I'd appreciate it. Haven't heard anything yet.
Dave,
I have meanwell chargers for my serious stuff,
The RD is just to play with.
Look up the new mean well charge lines, I have a bunch of OLD PB model,
PB = I can't adjust the voltage,
But new line of charger, you can adjust/fine tune the output voltage.

6 awg wire in a banana? how big is this banana plug?
remember amps = heat so take it down a notch and be safe.

Not sure I follow, what DIED?

sorry...

Back