diy solar

diy solar

Who here are using two-sided Panels?

Tony S

What make, model and size of double-sided "Bifacial" panels do you have? Are they really producing more than standard panels of the same size?

We live in Ontario Canada where we have long winters, lots of snow and a good amount of overcast.
I want to be sure - before I spend the extra money on them and time installing them.

Thanks,

Last edited:
What make, model and size of double-sided "Bifacial" panels do you have? Are they really producing more than standard panels of the same size?

We live in Ontario Canada where we have long winters, lots of snow and a good amount of overcast.
I want to be sure - before I spend the extra money on them and time installing them.

Thanks,

There have been several posts concerning their performance, and they appear to be beneficial primarily in northern latitudes, with steep tilt and at least 1m off the ground.

Worth checking this thread:

One can typically expect the back side to contribute an additional 30% to the front side in ideal conditions.

There have been several posts concerning their performance, and they appear to be beneficial primarily in northern latitudes, with steep tilt and at least 1m off the ground.

Worth checking this thread:

One can typically expect the back side to contribute an additional 30% to the front side in ideal conditions.
I've read up to 30% on their advertising. But I was hoping to hear from those who are using them to see what they are getting and where they are. Thank you for the link.

I've read up to 30% on their advertising. But I was hoping to hear from those who are using them to see what they are getting and where they are. Thank you for the link.
SW Colorado, 6,900' elevation.
Canadian Solar 390W bifacial
Regularly pull near 390W...on sunny days.
Have pulled 420W on full sunny days with snow.

On the heavy cloudy days that I would be far below max potential, while still less, I BELIEVE that...I'm still pulling more than I would be otherwise with mono's. JMHO

SW Colorado, 6,900' elevation.
Canadian Solar 390W bifacial
Regularly pull near 390W...on sunny days.
Have pulled 420W on full sunny days with snow.

On the heavy cloudy days that I would be far below max potential, while still less, I BELIEVE that...I'm still pulling more than I would be otherwise with mono's. JMHO
Good to know. We get a lot of cloudy days. Plus our winters are long or at least for me they are. Thank you for responding. I'm looking at half-cell panels with 420W and above... I plan to paint my container White to help with the reflection. It might sound silly, but I'm also thinking about leaving a slightly big gap between panels. 1. To allow more sun light to reflect off the container 2. To help with snow melting and rain run off the panels and it not having to run from the top panel all the way down to the end of the bottom panel.

I have a system that is 3 years old, standard panels. I just helped my sister (lives very close) and a church friend install new systems. My sister's is bifacial.

A few days ago we had a very nice sunny day and I got reported production numbers from all three systems to make sure the new systems were producing as expected. We are at 35 degrees latitude. Dan and Don's (brother in law) are at 35 degree tilt. Paul's is at 30 degrees tilt. All three are ground mount with the front just over a meter off the ground. Don's is more like 1.3 to 1.5 meters off the ground in the front. Don does not have any white gravel or similar to help the bifacial. I have also monitored Don's and mine during overcast days. The bifacial might be a little better on overcast days but I wouldn't pay extra for that specific plus.

In shopping for panels for Don and Paul, bifacial were common than standard as far as what was in stock and offered for sale.

1670504225781.png

I have Hyundai 300w bifacial panels that work much better in the winter and are mounted about 3 feet from my white sided shed. At this time of the year around 10am sunlight bounces off the shed onto the back of the panels and provide a significant boost in output. Often in the winter the array outputs very close to 1200w with the 4 panels. While the cold helps, I believe the reflected light is helping to increase output.

I live in Northern Ohio and we don't get a lot of snow but the reflection from it is noticeable on the output of the panels.

Thanks guys. With our long winters, a good number of overcast days throughout the year and the fact that I'm only going to be able to have 12 maybe 16 panels = is all why I'm leaning towards the Bifacial panels 440W if not more per panel. WHY only 12-16 panels? I'm installing them on an adjustable tilt system on a 20 shipping container.

I have my qcells bifacials G10 at 66° fixed for winter production, 225° azimuth, 2-4’ off ground. On cloudy days the eight 475W string will not produce as much as my 430W standard G6 string of eight at a 45° angle, 180° azimuth. I think having adjustable angle would be very helpful. On sunny days, after 3 PM, it will blow the 430’s away. Shallower angle better for cloudy days. For the extra weight, less aluminum structure, I wouldn’t mess with bifacials again unless that is all they had in my case or for aesthetic reasons. Oh, both will produce 110% on cool sunny days spring and fall days.

I'm installing them on an adjustable tilt system on a 20 shipping container.
Like Courtney & Rilley from "Ambition Strikes?

BTW... had 3" snow & clear blue sky the other day. While it's not the average, we had a new high 440W. Main sun hours were between 398-440W with clear sky... on my 390W BF's. (See attached screenshot.)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221208-113149_Renogy BT.jpg
    Screenshot_20221208-113149_Renogy BT.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 4
Like Courtney & Rilley from "Ambition Strikes?

BTW... had 3" snow & clear blue sky the other day. While it's not the average, we had a new high 440W. Main sun hours were between 398-440W with clear sky... on my 390W BF's. (See attached screenshot.)

YES - I had purchased our container 2 years ago for emergency storage and for plans to do solar on our farm. Due to all the evergreen trees around the house, we can't use the house roof. Plus, we don't have the indoor space needed for all the equipment. I found Courtney & Rilley's Solar build about a month ago while doing online searches for our system. I learned a few things too from their videos. One of which was to use a larger pipe for the pivot housing vs my more complicated Pillow Block Bearing setup. Grin

YES - I had purchased our container 2 years ago for emergency storage and for plans to do solar on our farm. Due to all the evergreen trees around the house, we can't use the house roof. Plus, we don't have the indoor space needed for all the equipment. I found Courtney & Rilley's Solar build about a month ago while doing online searches for our system. I learned a few things too from their videos. One of which was to use a larger pipe for the pivot housing vs my more complicated Pillow Block Bearing setup. Grin
Interesting. I too have a 20' shipping container & had also considered doing the same. However, since this is more of a temporary use, has a bit of shading & I only want 5-7 panels for now...I decided to buy a old untitled boat trailer for $250 to put them on. It allows me access more direct sunlight, change it based on the season, & to move it to various parts of my property based on need in the future. (I have 81 acres.) I'm also in the process of building while living in a 5th wheel...this will give me full shore power via an installed 30/50 amp plug.

Best of luck to you...keep us posted!

This morning, we woke up to 7" of snow & VERY overcast...more snow coming.

5-6" of it on the panels, I think I may need to elevate them a bit more to help shed snow even though a bit less efficient. VERY interestingly, my panels were registering that 25watts/ panel was being generated... with the snow so on them!?! I reset & checked it 3 times.

While a tiny bit of the limited sun light we have today (nothing direct) may have been registering on the front side through atleast 5" of wet dense snow...I think very minimal if at all. I think 24 of the 25 watts was coming from the back side of the bf panels.

So I then cleared off the panels... it instantly jumped to 117 watts/panel. Not great but better considering how dense & low the clouds are while it gets ready to snow some more.

Back