diy solar

diy solar

Why is bulk/absorption voltage used?

That's basically what I'm getting at, yeah. When the CV absorption current tapers all the way down to near zero it's a matter of terminology if you want to call that the float or just the tailed off end of an absorption phase. I'm still calling it the float. And it does end after a few hours anyway, like you say if this was a 24/7 charging standby power application the considerations would be different.
No that's not the float. If you charge the your float voltage your battery may not get full in the span of one day. I prefer not to throw away solar production so I like to charge to full.

If my absorb is 55v and my float is 55v then it is my float. The float is just the near zero tail of the absorb.
Or your absorb. If they are set to theme voltage then you don't have a float because by definition float voltage is different than absorb.

In other words of you have your absorb and float at the same voltage all you are doing is charging the battery to your "full" voltage and keeping it there

you don't have a float because by definition float voltage is different than absorb.
Float voltage is the voltage at which a battery is maintained after being fully charged to maintain that capacity by compensating for self-discharge of the battery. The voltage could be held constant for the entire duration of the cell's operation (such as in an automotive battery) or could be held for a particular phase of charging by the charger.
This is just splitting terminology hairs so I don't really care if you want to call it something else, but I understand float voltage to simply be defined as the voltage the battery is held at after it is fully charged regardless of whether it's independently phased or differentiated from absorb voltage.

This is just splitting terminology hairs so I don't really care if you want to call it something else, but I understand float voltage to simply be defined as the voltage the battery is held at after it is fully charged regardless of whether it's independently phased or differentiated from absorb voltage.
So you agree that you first have to fully charge the battery 🧐😎

The reason for a float voltage is to prevent a cell getting fully charged (= lithium plating), when the system is held at that voltage in summer.

EV charging doesn’t have that issue, they charge to a setpoint then turn off.

If you have picked a single voltage that results in a cell being fully charged you will end up damaging that cell.

The reason for a float voltage is to prevent a cell getting fully charged (= lithium plating), when the system is held at that voltage in summer.

EV charging doesn’t have that issue, they charge to a setpoint then turn off.

If you have picked a single voltage that results in a cell being fully charged you will end up damaging that cell.
How about 3.4375, damaging to hold for 3-8 hours per day?

EV chargers do turn off, but they hold and top up at their setpoint until balancing is done. Which might take a couple hours.

Last edited:
How about 3.4375, damaging to hold for 3-8 hours per day?

EV chargers do turn off, but they hold and top up at their setpoint until balancing is done. Which might take a couple hours.
It’s damaging the instant you are holding that voltage and there is no room left for intercalation.

What's that, about 95% soc?
Yeah but don't take my SOC graph for hard data here, I am still learning Orion's SOC config and I don't know if it has drifts happening in this chart. But if I multiply the amps volts and time I do believe there is nearly 95% of the rated capacity (972x16wh) in that bulk phase, maybe 90%.

The amps and volts are hard data though.

Last edited:
With low C rate charges like that, only slow charging happens. :)

45A/304Ah = 0.15C
I see the possibility that if you have .3C peak at mid day, it's possible 55v it's gonna limit your input a bit.

At the same time, I hear it commonly stated that people are not designing their system to operate much over .1C.

Last edited:
Capture.PNG
That's absorption about done now. Ignore SOC capping out at 95%, that's an Orion setting, it doesn't go over 95%.

So lets say you have a system that doesn't have more than .15C peak solar charge controller input, the charge doesn't look to me like it's dragging anywhere due to 55v.

@sunshine_eggo so let's say my application won't exceed .15C. And it looks like charging speed at .15C is not limited by the limited over potential of a single voltage charging scheme.

So, then if the two considerations remaining are wanting to achieve balancing voltage and not wanting to hold too high of a voltage, do you have an idea where you'd land in the 3.4-3.45 range? I've been looking at 3.437, but I'm wondering if 3.425 is more like it. Maybe even lower.

I like to keep it simple.

I have two modes:

1) don't care so much about charge time, but want to keep it reasonable and minimize cell stress: 3.45V/cell
2) Want to charge on generator, get close to full and terminate with near zero absorption, 3.55-3.65V/cell

FWIW, I just charge until 3.45V is reached for the max cell, but reduce the charge current (in about 4 stages) once the SOC exceeds 90%. This gives the balancer time to do its job, which triggers above 3.4V/cell). The charge profile is further modified depending on temperature. I used this image from EVE as a guidance for the lower charge rates... I can only do 0.35C max anyway with 100A charge into 280Ah cells.

eve-lf280k-charge-vs-temperature-profile-png.121396

This gives the balancer time to do its job
Just to confirm what might be supposed to be obvious, is this because you are balancing in your (modified) absorption and will go into a lower float where you can't balance? Or is it about giving time to balance within the constraints of the solar day?

Back