diy solar

diy solar

Why is string voltage drop over 3% bad?

Sure you can. Voltage drop is equal to current times resistance. Ohm's law.
If you want to know how much voltage you will have at the end. You must know how much voltage you have at the beginning.
What's the point of calculating voltage drop, if you don't have voltage?

If you want to know how much voltage you will have at the end. You must know how much voltage you have at the beginning.
What's the point of calculating voltage drop, if you don't have voltage?
Voltage at the beginning is what drives the current. If you already have your current, all you need is current and resistance to calculate your voltage drop. What you're after is final voltage, which is something else.

I think that it could actually be worse, on a percentage loss. Because voltage is pulled lower by the MPPT. Which would increase the voltage drop.
Assuming that there's enough current available.

I don't think Vmp decreases much in low light. Not nearly as much as current does.

As for my earlier comment that MPPT operating at higher voltage/lower current should help make up for I^2R wire loss,
Looks like 10% reduction in current might be possible, but power is also reduced quite a bit.
What the curves do show is that about 10% change in voltage is not terribly significant; that is why 10s2p with one panel shaded is OK.

iu

Overpaneling is a common way to overcome winter sun angel. But having too small of a conductor, works against that option.

Overpaneling to cram needed production into fewer hours, it works against.
Overpaneling to make up for reduced light intensity (longer path through atmosphere, light clouds, not a problem.

But likely, winter days are often clearer than summer days.

High voltage is the key, but you pay for it (in a DC coupled system). A 250V or 600V to 48V SCC is expensive. A 600V or 1000V to 240Vrms GT inverter is cost-effective.

Of course with AC coupled, you have the option of transformer step-up and step-down. But that is expensive, and difficult to haul up the hill. Better to do that with a switcher. And AC voltages that are convenient to work with are no higher than high voltage PV strings.

Back