diy solar

diy solar

Why is this wire so hot?

Say what? How is a closed breaker going to arc over?" Acr over to where? By your logic systems will be arcing and sparking everywhere every time a BMS disconnects for whatever reason. :rolleyes:
Oh, actually it does happen every time when BMS disconnects under high current. It doesn't have to be in high voltage.

Oh, actually it does happen every time when BMS disconnects under high current. It doesn't have to be in high voltage.
Many BMS don't use a contactor. There's no arcing within the FETs (well, OK I guess they can, but they only do it once when they blow up).

Totally different thing. Of course a contact "might" arc when opening. But in this case we are talking about a closed contact (the breaker) and the opening happening elsewhere (the BMS). The breaker is not going to arc when the BMS opens.

Many BMS don't use a contactor. There's no arcing within the FETs (well, OK I guess they can, but they only do it once when they blow up).
Depend if the gate-to-source voltage is high enough to arc across the gate dielectric.

The "contactor" might be the loose connection at the breaker terminal near the red wire.

Edit: To test it, just charge the battery at lower voltage 13.6 or 13.8v to prevent non stop BMS disconnect/reconnect due to OVP. If there is no heating.....then that is that. 3.4v or 3.45v per cell should be sufficient to get full charge for lifepo4

The "contactor" might be the loose connection at the breaker terminal near the red wire.

I already said the issue could be a bad crimp or a cheap breaker with resistance. However, it is still not going to magically arc across a closed breaker when the BMS opens upstream.

Last edited:

diy solar

diy solar
Back