diy solar

diy solar

Why the big difference in case sizes?

reilym

I have a pair of 8 year old LFP 12V 100 Ah in my RV. They are still working great, but I realize they are getting older and am looking to modestly expand capacity. My RV has a battery compartment that is 25" W, 9" D and 10.5" H that just fit my two batteries. Most 280 or 300 Ah batteries (e.g. Chins or LtTime), at 9.45"D x 20.55"W x 8.58"H, are a little too large to safely fit in the space.
Recently, smaller form factor 300Ah options have appeared from a number of manufacturers, but all look relatively similar to this Epoch. The difference in overall size is remarkable. If you take the published case dimensions, the larger format Chins or LiTime batteries measure at ~1900 cubic inches, whereas the Epoch and similar are ~1200 cubic inches. My question is: what makes it possible to package 300 Ah of storage into a box that is 40% smaller? It's obvious that no one would make a product larger than necessary, so there must be some fundamental difference in what goes in them. I'd love a drop-in 50% boost in capacity, but am wary about what I might be giving up. TIA!

Think I’m doing the math wrong, but 4cells for an 100 ah 12 volt pack is 233 cu in. A 300 ah pack would be 700 cu in.

This shows dimensions of just the cells

So, it is possible, but inside would be tight.

You could get 1/4” threaded rod for compression, 1/4 PEX tubing to put around the threaded rod, plywood for compression, flexible cutting board for spacers, premade busbars, and 280 ah cells and add a BMS and you could have the smallest battery possible.

Yeah the Li-time Group 24 and Group 31 are drastically different in size but have the same cells and bms.

It looks like though to get much smaller than group 24 in a 12.8V 100ah you have to go to pouch cells. Does Epoch use those? Doubt it.

I've been stuffing 304 and 280ah cells in a Noco DC29 box with heaters and BMS and a little room to spare for years. Not having 3" of foam on every side really cuts down on the cubic inches.
Do you have a build thread on one of those I'm going to have 4 extra Eve LF280K's left over from 48v Batt's build

Do you have a build thread on one of those I'm going to have 4 extra Eve LF280K's left over from 48v Batt's build
I did my first build for my brother's pop-up, then I built a solar dolly, and last spring I built 2 for my pop-up camper rebuild. The little plastic end plate that goes inside them is a handy place to mount the BMS.

About the closest thing to a build log was my nephew's truck box. I've never done an instructional step-by-step but Will has a few older videos walking you through it.

I did my first build for my brother's pop-up, then I built a solar dolly, and last spring I built 2 for my pop-up camper rebuild. The little plastic end plate that goes inside them is a handy place to mount the BMS.

About the closest thing to a build log was my nephew's truck box. I've never done an instructional step-by-step but Will has a few older videos walking you through it.
Thanks I just purchased a 116 EVE LF280k's I got 4 extras just in case I had any weak cells I could just throw them together and make a 12 vbat I already have 2 EG4_wp12v batteries

That was a 24v and not in a Noco box, so no hernia boxes. 😁
Looks good I ordered extra flexible bus bars to go with my extra batteries I also built one of them hand truck solar generators that was my first build
20240521_134105.jpg20240531_113408.jpg20240604_182629.jpg20240605_134708.jpg
I use Anderson connectors for plug and play with my other batteries

I've been stuffing 304 and 280ah cells in a Noco DC29 box with heaters and BMS and a little room to spare for years. Not having 3" of foam on every side really cuts down on the cubic inches.
Thanks. Can you provide a link to the Noco DC29?

My bad, it's the Noco DC24-31 snap top box. Google is your friend as we're currently on the asian satellite and the ship thinks I'm in Norway for some reason. Their part number is

HM318BKS

HM318BK-12V-Marine-RV-Battery-Box-Storage-Key-Highlights.jpg

I usually end up using the small zip ties to strap the BMS to the vertical insert and then screwing in through the sides with small screws to hold the insert in place.

diy solar

diy solar
Back