diy solar

diy solar

Yet Another (Budget) First Battery Build!

Rednecktek

Solar Wizard
I guess it's my turn to post my first battery build photos and hear a bout how I did everything wrong. :)

I built this using some 280Ah Grade B cells and a JBD 120a BMS with absolutely NO features other than a single temp probe. No bluetooth port, no extra temp ports, pretty much as basic as can be.

Everything was mounted into two of the WallyWorld DC24-31 battery boxes. 1 for the battery and breaker, then the MPPT and extension cord to the panels in the other.

I had to use a 150a DC breaker because after 3 weeks of my fuse and holder being "In The Mail" I needed my battery now.

I was planning on throwing in a shunt but when I went to install the power wire to the small terminal block, the whole block came off and I was out of time.

The 2nd battery box has an old PowMr 60a MPPT controller retired from regular service (getting the Tuition money back!) and a 100ft 14AWG extension cord with MC4 connectors.

The order of operations is to turn on the breaker, run out the extension cord, set up the Pop-Up camper, plug in the panels.

This replaces the 2008 80Ah WallyWorld marine battery that he only charges 2x a year. I charged it up while I was out camping with the trailer and watched the meter drop pretty steadily with nothing but my leads attached. It was a little shot. ;)

So yeah, budget build but it ran the camper for the 10 days I was using it. Someday I have hopes of putting in an inverter as it never came with one from the factory and the power center I think is having "Issues".

Attachments

• Battery-Installed.jpg
    Battery-Installed.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Battery-Part-A.jpg
    Battery-Part-A.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Battery-Part-B.jpg
    Battery-Part-B.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
You're not going to hear me say you did everything wrong! (Mostly because I can't tell yet. ;) )

You said you used a JK 120A BMS w/ no Bluetooth. You sure you didn't mean to say JBD BMS? I didn't think JK had a 120A model for 12V, and I thought they all came with Bluetooth built in.

Back