diy solar

diy solar

Building a solar generator kit with my nephew

Rednecktek

Solar Wizard
Currently a placeholder while I wait for the parts, but my youngest nephew is going to be heading to Lineman's school in Idaho in a couple months, so I thought I'd grab him for a couple days and make him a proper "Work Truck Solar Generator".

I came across this box the other day and things just went from there.

So I ordered some parts:
4x 304Ah cells from Docan
150Ah JBD 4s BMS
And the Licitti AC battery box w/ AC charger

So far I'm into the project for about $1000 with all the parts. Much cheaper than any 4Kwh off-the-shelf version available.

That should build a system with just shy of 4Kw worth of power. I've seen videos of it running small heaters, lights, and a insta-Kureeg-Coffee maker so I figure when he's living in his truck for a few days in the field or out at remote stations, this will give him the ability to charge devices, warm up the cab, and make some coffee. Ya know, all the IMPORTANT things in life. ?

I'll be walking him through making the cells into a battery, top balancing, BMS programming and connection. Hopefully it'll get him excited. I'll post pics as we go along.

Last edited:
Good project for the two of you.

So looking at the components, it looks like nominal 12 volts, 0.5 C discharge rate, so a nominal 1 - 1.5 kW power system?

It can get cold in ID. The AGM vs LiFe decision in that climate can be unclear.

It's supposedly a 1Kw inverter, but it doesn't seem to scream at you until 1300w so plenty for small appliances.

It's expected to live in the work truck so freezing isn't going to be an issue, but the BMS does have low temp charging protection so it should be fine. I just couldn't fit 600Ah worth of AGM in there and justify a battery that weighs more than my nephew does. ?

That is an exceptionally low price for that box, even for just an inverter with a 1 kW rating.

I build some things sort of like that and just the parts cost a LOT more. Of course the ones that I build are more ruggedized, but still...

Mostly for him to charge at the shop then throw in the truck when he heads out. Hopefully eventually he'll get a 150w folding panel or just top of from the truck while en-route.

It'll be up to him how he uses it, I'm just trying to give him an educational opportunity and get something practical out of it.

Mostly for him to charge at the shop then throw in the truck when he heads out. Hopefully eventually he'll get a 150w folding panel or just top of from the truck while en-route.

It'll be up to him how he uses it, I'm just trying to give him an educational opportunity and get something practical out of it.

Interesting little project , I bet he'll be grateful when he really needs it

Currently a placeholder while I wait for the parts, but my youngest nephew is going to be heading to Lineman's school in Idaho in a couple months, so I thought I'd grab him for a couple days and make him a proper "Work Truck Solar Generator".

I came across this box the other day and things just went from there.

So I ordered some parts:
4x 304Ah cells from Docan
150Ah JBD 4s BMS
And the Licitti AC battery box w/ AC charger

So far I'm into the project for about $1000 with all the parts. Much cheaper than any 4Kwh off-the-shelf version available.

That should build a system with just shy of 4Kw worth of power. I've seen videos of it running small heaters, lights, and a insta-Kureeg-Coffee maker so I figure when he's living in his truck for a few days in the field or out at remote stations, this will give him the ability to charge devices, warm up the cab, and make some coffee. Ya know, all the IMPORTANT things in life. ?

I'll be walking him through making the cells into a battery, top balancing, BMS programming and connection. Hopefully it'll get him excited. I'll post pics as we go along.

What AC charger are you using with this?

It says it comes with one, they forgot to throw it in the box so it's on its way tomorrow. I don't have too much detail other than it states 14.4 LiFeP04 40a AC Charger. I'll have the exact specs once it arrives.

Initial charge starts Thursday!

Last edited:
I love mine! Cheap, rugged, simple, modular. All the things a blue-collar guy like me values in a tool. For my review-thingie, link below.

So I figure I should throw in an update with some photos:

20230323_194442.jpg
Rough assembly for bulk charging. Throwing a 25a charger really cuts down the build time.

20230324_154010.jpg

Then I taught him about top balancing, the bulk charge really made a difference in the time. Yes, it's 3.58 at the start but that power supply tends to drift and it sat at 3.62 for a couple days.

20230327_162356.jpg

Cable management and making it look Pro! If you zoom in on the top of the center cells, you can see the burns on the nuts where he learned first hand what a short circuit is. I think he peed himself a little, but I won't tell his friends. ;)

20230327_164829.jpg

We had enough slack in the Positive rubber cap to feed the balance lead through there, makes it look real good inside there.

20230327_165325.jpg

All working and buttoned up. We tested the USB and the inverter and everything ran great. Hopefully this serves him well in his future in line working.

So quick BMS question for y'all,

During the assembly he shorted 2 of the cells for a couple seconds. I'm guessing this messed with the top balance. If I set the BMS to start balancing at something really low like 3v and did a few deep cycles would the BMS be able to re-balance the cells or am I looking at a full disassembly and re-top-balance?

I'll find out later tonight how far off the cells are when he gets home and can check the app.

hello guys ,
i just made my own lifepo4 battery and i put it into a Licitti power box , but the dc v is fluctuating a lot with no consumer attached , is this normal ?

Not normal.
But I don't believe that the battery voltage is actually fluctuating that much that quickly.
I believe the problem is with the monitor.

Back