diy solar

diy solar

Licitti Heavy Duty AC Power Box

Rabbit

I don't see any other mentions of this device on this forum, so here goes...

I've-- thanks largely to Will Prowse-- been happily running a small home solar power system as a hobby for years now, and friends come to me for advice. Recently one was looking for a solar-generator type power box, so I did some fresh research in order to help. Along the way I found a radically new approach to the matter that intrigued me so much so that I bought one for myself even though I don't really need it, the Licitti Heavy Duty AC Power Box. Because it's so fundamentally different than everything else out there, I thought I'd mention it in this forum.

As I see it, this device in some ways isn't even really a solar generator at all. It looks to me like a fisherman's battery box with a solar controller and inverter added. For many years now fishermen have enclosed their trolling motor batteries in rugged, heavy-duty and specialized "battery boxes" that are often festooned with Anderson, USB, and cigarette-lighter-type power connections. The Licitti begins with this same concept and form factor, but adds a 1000-watt pure-sine inverter and a (very!) small solar controller to create a tough and (to some) "primitive" power-supply unit. All one has to do is add any standard-sized "drop-in" 12-volt lithium or even lead-acid battery to have (with one notable caveat, see below) a fairly competent solar generator. But what's even more remarkable than the ruggedness is the price. I paid about $225 (I forget the exact amount) for this thing (minus battery) delivered! (You can find a couple affiliate discount links on You Tube, if you search "Licitti" there. I don't get a dime; none of these Tubers have ever so much as heard of me.)

As near as I can tell the Licitti works great (and I'm certainly much happier with it than at least one and maybe both of my two Bluettis). Setup was idiot-easy, I've been able to pull 1100 watts sustained from the supposed 1000 watt inverter, and the display (while small and extremely primitive) does all it really (IMO) needs to. Bluetooth? Don't make me laugh. This device is the very best of bare-bones basic; the simplicity and lack of frills is one of its most powerful virtues. The Licitti adds very little weight to the battery, so this is about as light and portable as a 1200 watt-hour solar generator is ever going to be. But the main reason I like it so much (other than the super-good price!) is that it's designed for how I actually want to use a portable power station in the real world. There are multiple Anderson connections, for example, including one 175-amp plug that I can use to attach another battery (or even a daisy-chain of batteries) for more capacity, _very_ cheaply. I can also use this same socket to connect the unit's battery into my current home-solar setup's battery bank, so that I'm getting value out of the most expensive component of the system (the battery) every single day. In fact, setting things up this way even makes another 1000-watt inverter available in the home system at the push of a button. If my battery goes bad the Licitti will still work just fine with another one, or if the Licitti goes bad I still have a perfectly good drop-in battery-- try that with any other solar generator. With them, generally, if any one component goes bad you can't easily replace it. I mentioned the tiny, primitive display earlier. My take is that I can worry less about the device banging around in the back of my truck, because the display (being so small) is much less likely to take an unlucky impact and shatter than on a more conventional solar generator. Being based on a fishing-boat lineage, the Licitti is innately _much_ more robust than most designs. The casing is designed for a degree of abuse, unlike the delicate "mainstream" style of solar generators. I think you could wallop this thing with a hammer a time or three in a lot of places and the only damage would be scuffing.

There is one important for-sure caveat and one potential caveat I must mention here. The for-sure caveat is that, as delivered, the Licitti can be charged only by a solar panel inputting into its tiny, 100-watt capacity controller. (They say it's an MPPT, but I've never tried mine.) If you want to charge any other way you have to provide your own external charger, which can be plugged very conveniently into the multiple Anderson connectors provided. (Or, you can just attach another battery of the same chemistry via the 175 Anderson and charge _it_.) I already owned both a small AC and DC to DC charger fitted with Andersons, so for me this was not a significant problem. Or you could use another larger solar controller and an Anderson to attach however many panels you like right up the battery's capacity to accept charging. (Or then use the 175-amp Anderson to attach more batteries and charge them as well, if you like. This setup is _flexible_.) Again I see this absence of internal chargers as at least in some ways an advantage, as if a charger fails it's easily replaced instead of crippling the whole unit. The other potential concern I have is really an unjustified one, that I hope someone who reads this and buys a Licitti will remedy for me. This unit costs only around $200, and even "naked" pure-sine 1000-watt inverters cost a lot these days. Is the inverter actually pure sine, as claimed? I have absolutely no reason to doubt Licitti's word on this. Everything they've claimed that I'm equipped to verify checks out, and I corresponded a bit with their US rep via e-mail over a shipping issue and was treated exceptionally well and courteously. I don't own a scope, however, and know of no other way to verify for sure that the inverter is pure-sine. Nor have any You Tubers to date, that I'm aware of. In my personal usage it's pretty easy for me to simply treat it like it's not, however, so that's what I'm doing until I can find a way to make sure.

Bottom line... I love this thing for its ruggedness, simplicity, light weight, versatility, modularity, low cost, and perhaps most of all because I can link it into my existing battery bank and get continual daily use out of my investment. It's also perfect to toss into the back of my truck while traveling or doing work that might require AC power, and has become perhaps my favorite solar-toy to date. I've only lightly used it so far, but it's so cheap that if I get two years out of it (and the battery is still good, which it should be) I'll have zero reason for complaint. I only hope they'll someday come out with a version that's got a 2000 watt inverter. That would be even better.

Last edited:
Do you have any recommendations for an external AC charger for this?
All I've actually done so far is DC to DC charging, using this...

I prefer DC to DC where many others may not because I have a small 12-volt home solar plant. Since DC to DC charging is most efficient and solar power is free, this is what I invariably go with. Plus, I can also use the equipment in a vehicle. You would also need an adapter similar to this one. Or you could much more cheaply make your own.

If you can make your own Anderson connectors-- it's not hard-- I'd go with this for DC to DC charging instead of the charger above. It's cheaper and likely of higher quality.

I've never wanted to use an AC adapter yet, but the item below is on order in case I want to use it while traveling. Since it's not in my hands yet, I have no idea how good it is. If I wanted to charge with AC immediately, I'd just add an Anderson adapter to one of several Victron chargers I already have lying around. I recommend anything made by Victron very highly, by the way.

All this charging gear does add considerably to the price. But in my case I already owned most of what I wanted anyway. Good luck, if you buy a Licitti!

I'll also add here that since writing the above posting I've seen a new review on You Tube that claims to have tested the inverter, and that it's definitely pure sine.

All I've actually done so far is DC to DC charging, using this...

I prefer DC to DC where many others may not because I have a small 12-volt home solar plant. Since DC to DC charging is most efficient and solar power is free, this is what I invariably go with. Plus, I can also use the equipment in a vehicle. You would also need an adapter similar to this one. Or you could much more cheaply make your own.

If you can make your own Anderson connectors-- it's not hard-- I'd go with this for DC to DC charging instead of the charger above. It's cheaper and likely of higher quality.

I've never wanted to use an AC adapter yet, but the item below is on order in case I want to use it while traveling. Since it's not in my hands yet, I have no idea how good it is. If I wanted to charge with AC immediately, I'd just add an Anderson adapter to one of several Victron chargers I already have lying around. I recommend anything made by Victron very highly, by the way.

All this charging gear does add considerably to the price. But in my case I already owned most of what I wanted anyway. Good luck, if you buy a Licitti!

I'll also add here that since writing the above posting I've seen a new review on You Tube that claims to have tested the inverter, and that it's definitely pure sine.
Thank you!!

Hmmm... looks familiar...

I'll let you know what the osciliscope says when we get to that point. Feel free to jump in over there. ?
<smiles>

I was tempted to try a larger prismatic cell battery for higher capacity, as I already use them in other things and am therefore somewhat familiar with them. But I already had a 100ah drop-in on hand, and that's already more capacity than I'll ever need. So I kept it easy. Good luck, and I'll be following your fun-looking build! As I said above, so far I'm very happy with mine.

I was looking at this just last night. Pretty nice. I may order one.

One concern I have is how well AC charging works. Will it overcharge?

Last edited:
I don't see any other mentions of this device on this forum, so here goes...

I've-- thanks largely to Will Prowse-- been happily running a small home solar power system as a hobby for years now, and friends come to me for advice. Recently one was looking for a solar-generator type power box, so I did some fresh research in order to help. Along the way I found a radically new approach to the matter that intrigued me so much so that I bought one for myself even though I don't really need it, the Licitti Heavy Duty AC Power Box. Because it's so fundamentally different than everything else out there, I thought I'd mention it in this forum.

As I see it, this device in some ways isn't even really a solar generator at all. It looks to me like a fisherman's battery box with a solar controller and inverter added. For many years now fishermen have enclosed their trolling motor batteries in rugged, heavy-duty and specialized "battery boxes" that are often festooned with Anderson, USB, and cigarette-lighter-type power connections. The Licitti begins with this same concept and form factor, but adds a 1000-watt pure-sine inverter and a (very!) small solar controller to create a tough and (to some) "primitive" power-supply unit. All one has to do is add any standard-sized "drop-in" 12-volt lithium or even lead-acid battery to have (with one notable caveat, see below) a fairly competent solar generator. But what's even more remarkable than the ruggedness is the price. I paid about $225 (I forget the exact amount) for this thing (minus battery) delivered! (You can find a couple affiliate discount links on You Tube, if you search "Licitti" there. I don't get a dime; none of these Tubers have ever so much as heard of me.)

As near as I can tell the Licitti works great (and I'm certainly much happier with it than at least one and maybe both of my two Bluettis). Setup was idiot-easy, I've been able to pull 1100 watts sustained from the supposed 1000 watt inverter, and the display (while small and extremely primitive) does all it really (IMO) needs to. Bluetooth? Don't make me laugh. This device is the very best of bare-bones basic; the simplicity and lack of frills is one of its most powerful virtues. The Licitti adds very little weight to the battery, so this is about as light and portable as a 1200 watt-hour solar generator is ever going to be. But the main reason I like it so much (other than the super-good price!) is that it's designed for how I actually want to use a portable power station in the real world. There are multiple Anderson connections, for example, including one 175-amp plug that I can use to attach another battery (or even a daisy-chain of batteries) for more capacity, _very_ cheaply. I can also use this same socket to connect the unit's battery into my current home-solar setup's battery bank, so that I'm getting value out of the most expensive component of the system (the battery) every single day. In fact, setting things up this way even makes another 1000-watt inverter available in the home system at the push of a button. If my battery goes bad the Licitti will still work just fine with another one, or if the Licitti goes bad I still have a perfectly good drop-in battery-- try that with any other solar generator. With them, generally, if any one component goes bad you can't easily replace it. I mentioned the tiny, primitive display earlier. My take is that I can worry less about the device banging around in the back of my truck, because the display (being so small) is much less likely to take an unlucky impact and shatter than on a more conventional solar generator. Being based on a fishing-boat lineage, the Licitti is innately _much_ more robust than most designs. The casing is designed for a degree of abuse, unlike the delicate "mainstream" style of solar generators. I think you could wallop this thing with a hammer a time or three in a lot of places and the only damage would be scuffing.

There is one important for-sure caveat and one potential caveat I must mention here. The for-sure caveat is that, as delivered, the Licitti can be charged only by a solar panel inputting into its tiny, 100-watt capacity controller. (They say it's an MPPT, but I've never tried mine.) If you want to charge any other way you have to provide your own external charger, which can be plugged very conveniently into the multiple Anderson connectors provided. (Or, you can just attach another battery of the same chemistry via the 175 Anderson and charge _it_.) I already owned both a small AC and DC to DC charger fitted with Andersons, so for me this was not a significant problem. Or you could use another larger solar controller and an Anderson to attach however many panels you like right up the battery's capacity to accept charging. (Or then use the 175-amp Anderson to attach more batteries and charge them as well, if you like. This setup is _flexible_.) Again I see this absence of internal chargers as at least in some ways an advantage, as if a charger fails it's easily replaced instead of crippling the whole unit. The other potential concern I have is really an unjustified one, that I hope someone who reads this and buys a Licitti will remedy for me. This unit costs only around $200, and even "naked" pure-sine 1000-watt inverters cost a lot these days. Is the inverter actually pure sine, as claimed? I have absolutely no reason to doubt Licitti's word on this. Everything they've claimed that I'm equipped to verify checks out, and I corresponded a bit with their US rep via e-mail over a shipping issue and was treated exceptionally well and courteously. I don't own a scope, however, and know of no other way to verify for sure that the inverter is pure-sine. Nor have any You Tubers to date, that I'm aware of. In my personal usage it's pretty easy for me to simply treat it like it's not, however, so that's what I'm doing until I can find a way to make sure.

Bottom line... I love this thing for its ruggedness, simplicity, light weight, versatility, modularity, low cost, and perhaps most of all because I can link it into my existing battery bank and get continual daily use out of my investment. It's also perfect to toss into the back of my truck while traveling or doing work that might require AC power, and has become perhaps my favorite solar-toy to date. I've only lightly used it so far, but it's so cheap that if I get two years out of it (and the battery is still good, which it should be) I'll have zero reason for complaint. I only hope they'll someday come out with a version that's got a 2000 watt inverter. That would be even better.
"I corresponded a bit with their US rep via e-mail over a shipping issue and was treated exceptionally well and courteously."

Can you pass on your US rep contact information to me? I am having a shipping issues as well.
thank you

Good thing. But only one main switch. If it’s on, the inverter runs and takes energy. A second power switch for the inverter would be good.

I was looking at this just last night. Pretty nice. I may order one.

One concern I have is how well AC charging works. Will it overcharge?
That all depends on what charger you use, I suppose. A good charger won't overcharge. All the Licitti provides for AC charging is a selection of plugs that you can connect the charger of your choice to.

Good thing. But only one main switch. If it’s on, the inverter runs and takes energy. A second power switch for the inverter would be good.
The inverter has its own off/on switch. The red "lever"-type switch is a main shutoff, and the inverter has a push-button.

Reactions: Ely
"I corresponded a bit with their US rep via e-mail over a shipping issue and was treated exceptionally well and courteously."

Can you pass on your US rep contact information to me? I am having a shipping issues as well.
thank you
I'm reluctant to pass on an e-mail address to a specific person without their permission, but as best I remember I started with the info on this page--

If this fails let me know and I'll get more specific. In my case the problem was that it took some days for the order to be shipped. I never found out why, but in the end all went well.

That all depends on what charger you use, I suppose. A good charger won't overcharge. All the Licitti provides for AC charging is a selection of plugs that you can connect the charger of your choice to.
You can get an AC charger from them as an option, that's what I got. Any other charger will work as long as you've got the Anderson plug on there.

Where are the manuals, for this and other models? Their own website makes it hard to find manuals ... need more pics/details ... nothing is "opened up" in marketing pics so you can see configurations/layouts.

I would tend to skip it because you couldn't tell exactly what you're getting ...

Some searching yielded various brands for others ... nothing on Licitti yet, still rummaging. Good grief ...

Mine came with a paper manual that I stuffed in a drawer somewhere. I've never looked online, so can't help. I suspect they're a relatively small company and have a lot to learn about marketing, especially overseas marketing. If you're just looking for physical configuration type stuff, there are several good videos online that pretty much show it from all possible angles. If you're looking for schematics and specs, not so much.

Recently saw a YouTube review on this:

One drawback currently is the $55 for shipping. Also, one comment said his Inverter was only putting out 106v and dipping below 100v under heavy load. The commenter also said the SCC is set for GEL and can't be changed.

This got me wondering if the box can be had without the Inverter and SCC. Looks like it can! https://www.licitti.com/product/dc-battery-box/

Still have to pay $55 for shipping. But, I'm considering this. I've attempted building my own DIY box a few times now and have not really been happy with any of them. This has all the ports needed (and recessed) and the top is flat so I can conveniently set my inverter on top and connect it to the 175A Anderson.

Question: Is the wiring for the 175A Anderson up to the task for a 700Watt Inverter?

Really a lot of bang for the buck here, even with the $55 shipping. It's perfectly sized for a 12V 100Ah battery.

Will be interesting to see how long the inverter and solar CC last, they must be pretty cheap components. I may go with the DC box and add my own inverter (bolt it to the top or back maybe).

I ordered the box w/o the Inverter and SCC. Will report back when I receive it...

Back