diy solar

diy solar

Licitti 1000w modify or build a complete new box?

tammons

This will be dual purpose setup to run a ChangeMoore 12v fridge/freezer when traveling or to power a 110v house fridge when the power goes out.

I bought a Licitti 1000w and I missed the 100 watt limit on solar.
I also have a Dr. Prepare 100amp battery with the hub to play around with and I just ran a test with my
ChangeMoore fridge/freezer (with the add in tiny battery) and it ran at -4/37df for 2.5 days just on the battery alone which is great and had half life left on the internal battery.
Testing the Changemoore with an EB70s showed that a 200 watt panel will pretty much keep up with the ChangeMoore during most mixed weather and that a 100 watt panel will not in the same conditions.

The Licitti 1000w is rated for 100-200 amp battery according to the literature.
I was thinking to setup 4 280 amp prismatic cells in the Licitti (I think they will fit) and replace the SCC with a 40 amp SCC and wiring so I can use 2 200 watt solar panels.
Guess I would need to replace the inverter too.
My thinking is, by the time I am through, I will probably end up gutting the Licitti except for the simple things like 12v outlets and USB etc.

What say ye?

Last edited:
If you don't need a nice, pretty, tough, and relatively lightweight box/enclosure and absolutely have to have more power, I'd scrap the Licitti entirely and build new from parts. Will the Licitti run your AC fridge? If not I'd definitely build new, as due to physical size issues you'll probably not squeeze a usefully more powerful inverter in there. If it will run the fridge, why not just buy and use a larger good-quality solar controller connected to more panels through the Anderson connectors? Simple, easy, cheap, and effective. So long as the Licitti will actually run the fridge, I mean.

I can tell you from experience that those Licetti boxes can take the 304Ah cells, I've done 2 of them so far. Another thing I did was get a MPPT controller and wire up an Anderson connector and some MC4 tails so I can throw a proper array on the side, then I got a 160w folding panel for the worthless onboard. ;)

RNT - What else did you modify on the Licitti 1000w to go to 304ah?
Anything else other than an external MPPT?
Which BMS did you use?
Thanks

Last edited:
I’d say scrap the Licettti and start from scratch.

Sounds like you are thinking of using the inverter portion of the device, and not much else.

I don’t like how my time is tied up when I decide to build something based off a good deal, or spare part I have. Spend a lot of time hunting parts and turns into spend $300 to save $175, net loss = $125.

Also, looking at the Licetti Website, I’m a bit reluctant to think a single prong outlet without GFCI and all those DC charging and discharge options are a good product for that low price.

If all you want to do is run the fridge like you said, and not anything else the LIcetti would be fine. If I were to dump the money into 280 ah cells, I’d want to get a decent UL inverter that I could give a little more power than you stated.

RNT - What else did you modify on the Licitti 1000w to go to 304ah?
Anything else other than an external MPPT?
Which BMS did you use?
Thanks
I didn't modify anything in the box itself, I even did a build log thread so you can see the cells and BMS just fit right down in there. I used a JBD SmartBMS clone for it for it.

I grabbed a little folding 160w panel so I can fully utilize that onboard 10a MPPT. The last camping trip I just used some paracord and tied it to toe top of the pop-up 10x10 canopy over the kitchen to get a little more juice, then a cheap ($80 at the time) 40a MPPT controller with some 8AWG wire to an Anderson 50a plug and some 10AWG MC4 pigtails that I plugged 4x 100w panels into over in the clearing. Between the 2 sets of panels we ran a chest freezer as a fridge, a coffee maker, charged cell phones, a laptop and projector, and still had battery left over 9 days later.

It doesn't start screaming at you until you get over about 1200w which is nice, I think they de-rated it for some reason.

RNT - Looks like a good way to go and is similar to what I am planning.
How much does it weigh?
Thanks

It weighs about 60lb or so, I don't have a scale handy up here to be exact. It feels about the same as a 110Ah deep cycle lead battery when I carry it around. Worth it for 3Kwh though!

It looks like a Victron MPPT 75V 15 amp 12/24-Volt Solar Charge Controller will fit in the space where the 10mp unit is now, so I will try that first to allow me to run a 200 watt panel.

Last edited:
It looks like a Victron MPPT 75V 15 amp 12/24-Volt Solar Charge Controller will fit in the space where the 10mp unit is now, so I will try that first to allow me to run a 200 watt panel.
The Victron SCC can limit the current output to anything 10 amps or less. You can add more panels.

I can set mine 3S3P with one string facing East, the next South and finally West to max out production.

Well, 304 amp prism cells and BMS are ordered.
Think I will skip the 15 amp MPPT and go 40 amp MPPT so I can throw more solar at it.
For those that are interested, the Victron 15 amp MPPT should fit with some trimming, but from my measurements you would need to remove the 175A Anderson connector and figure out some way to mount it.
I will probably use a larger inverter with four 110v outlets mounted to the top.

Or basically I might as well start from scratch.

Looks like this is going to turn into two builds. I planned on building two eventually anyway.

We have a fridge and a large chest freezer to run. So, I was thinking two in case of a power outage.
Now I just need one for the well - LOL.
Anyway, Build 1 - I will epoxy back on the mounting bosses for the inverter, and use the Licitti 1000w pretty much as is but I will change out the MPPT to a 15 amp unit so I can hook it up to a 200 watt panel. If interested I will post a photo of how it fits. I need to finish the freezer KWH test and then I will decide on the battery/batteries.

Build 2 - Will be in a custom case, 304 amps, 40 amp MPPT, and a larger inverter.

Here is what a Victron 75 15amp MPPT looks like sitting in the lid.
It will fit but is tight. Probably best to change out the 50 amp andersons to 30/45 andersons for more room.

Attachments

• P1010139_DxO small.jpg
    P1010139_DxO small.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
The Licitti 1000w is actually larger inside Than the Kick Ass case, but the Licitti corners are into the case about 1 1/4".
The Licitti 1000w cost $168 without the charger.

The Licitti 1000w is actually larger inside Than the Kick Ass case, but the Licitti corners are into the case about 1 1/4".
The Licitti 1000w cost $168 without the charger.
I could have sworn it was 99 on sale...
Still... better to get the 168 with inverter than the 179 without...

It probably was $99 at one time.
Or maybe you could get it without the inverter for that much.
This inverter will supposedly run up to 1200 watts.
I haven't tried it yet.
Although worthless with a 100w max solar panel.
That wont keep up with my fridge.

Back