diy solar

diy solar

Looking for a small (physically) MPPT controller maybe?

Rednecktek

Solar Wizard
So some of us have built a couple of the Licetti AC Power Boxes so far and I see 1 MAJOR flaw in them and that is the SCC. The unit comes with a 10a MPPT controller module built in that is a little larger than a pack of cards but when you've got 280 or 304Ah cells in there that's pretty darned anemic. There's the Redneck Kludge that I'm building where I just grab a larger MPPT controller, an extension cord, and some Anderson 50a plugs and make an external SCC, but it's a kludge for sure.

I've been perusing Amazon for a new controller that's about the same physical size (pack of cards-ish) as the included 10a but has a higher rating. It seems like once you go from 10a to 20a and up, the units get MUCH larger (about 8" square and 5" thick on average) which is never going to fit in that box.

Is there such a thing as a physically small 20a or 30a MPPT controller that might fit in there or am I stuck with the kludge?

I think you are stuck. IF you want a product-number part.

The Epever 10A is fairly small but not that small, and the smallest mppt “finished goods” that I’m aware of is the not-so-small Victron from the top shelf and the powrMR 60A on the bottom shelf.

What you probably will need to do is look on alleybabblers for component-level products like this. The Amazon ‘store’ for that brand has done 10A mppt and pwm offerings in a tiny package.
The problem is offloading heat; a subassembly component isn’t going to provide anything useful for heat sinks- they’re just boards.

So some of us have built a couple of the Licetti AC Power Boxes so far and I see 1 MAJOR flaw in them and that is the SCC. The unit comes with a 10a MPPT controller module built in that is a little larger than a pack of cards but when you've got 280 or 304Ah cells in there that's pretty darned anemic. There's the Redneck Kludge that I'm building where I just grab a larger MPPT controller, an extension cord, and some Anderson 50a plugs and make an external SCC, but it's a kludge for sure.

I've been perusing Amazon for a new controller that's about the same physical size (pack of cards-ish) as the included 10a but has a higher rating. It seems like once you go from 10a to 20a and up, the units get MUCH larger (about 8" square and 5" thick on average) which is never going to fit in that box.

Is there such a thing as a physically small 20a or 30a MPPT controller that might fit in there or am I stuck with the kludge?
REDARC- so tiny. I have the 12v DC1240D version 40amps but they make a 50A (DC1250d) and it is pricey (Australian-made) but worth it for the very reason you state. I have two. It is not an inverter though. It is just a SCC. https://www.redarcelectronics.com/us/dual-input-40a-in-vehicle-dc-battery-charger
Look around, may find it cheaper but I love it for its size. One came with my Australian camper and I bought the second one before they came out with the 50A version

Attachments

• 853D656F-6BB9-4128-A26E-F6DDA8EC8ABF.jpeg
    853D656F-6BB9-4128-A26E-F6DDA8EC8ABF.jpeg
    193.1 KB · Views: 11
  • D64CC3DE-BA13-472D-BD8C-E8BBB728140D.jpeg
    D64CC3DE-BA13-472D-BD8C-E8BBB728140D.jpeg
    198 KB · Views: 11
  • 037FADFE-40EA-4B1F-B2F3-B4A885F42D64.jpeg
    037FADFE-40EA-4B1F-B2F3-B4A885F42D64.jpeg
    222.9 KB · Views: 11
2.5”x3”x7”

it looks like a DC-DC charger to me

Did I miss the point somewhere?
No. It is but it can do solar to battery (SCC) and/or alternator to battery. Mine is connected to solar panels and then to the battery. No inverter. Just solar charging the batteries and everything run off 12V.

For size you would need a PWM charge controller but I am not aware of any compatible with Lithium batteries.
People get hung up on MPPT controllers but i would take a high quality PWM over an amazon special MPPT any day.

For this scenario, too bad the Midnite Brat wouldn't work for you

Back