diy solar

diy solar

Why Use Solar Over Gas Generator? (Newbie Question)

What are the electrical ratings from label of window A/C? I've measured mine with a scope so I saw exactly how much surge current needed to start it, and have a multiple which I apply to label ratings to estimate.

What does your electric bill look like? PV does have a capital cost, but if it can shave the utility bill then it pays for itself.

The figures I've calculated or seen from others are:

$0.05/kWh for DIY grid-tie PV (amortized over 10 years)
$0.50/kWh for lead-acid or big-name lithium batteries (amortized over their cycle life, which is several times longer and more expensive for lithium)
$0.05/kWh for DIY LiFePO4 batteries (amortized over cycle life)
$0.50/kWh for diesel generator (fuel & maintenance + purchase amortized over 10 years)

Me? I power an 800 sf home with $100k of solar while making a 6-figure income (that's roughly the poverty line in my neck of the woods.)
I paid $8/W way back when for grid-tie PV, but could do it for $1/W today.

Everything you list is feasible with a moderate investment in solar except for the space heater. You could power it in the summer from PV, but not in winter. So portable generator is good for that one. Not sure if we can hit your $1400 budget, but can try. Pending A/C electrical ratings, I'm guessing a 2500W inverter and 1250W of PV panels ($250 for the panels)

Thank you. I live on a fixed income due to blindness. I am looking strictly at “keep you alive” type solutions on a budget of $1400 or less. I am not trying to power the 5000 square feet home with $100k in solar while making a six figure income. LOL I live with my parents on a small farm. I help take care of a 70 and 73 year old adult. The idea here is to be able to do the following:

charge smartphone and iPad
run a cpap
(kilowatt values listed)
run a toaster 800 watts
coffee maker 1350 watts
hot plate to make food 1000 watts
run a room space heater 600/900/1500 watts
power the cable modem/wifi
run a 5 watt usb light bulb
Power a 5000 btu window AC to cool one room on a 95 degree day.
the idea is make your coffee and unplug it. Cook your food and unplug it.
The entry cost of solar seems high, yet you buy it once and done. You buy a 2200 watt inverter Honda and then you have to buy gas, keep gas fresh, change oil, adjust the valves over time, etc. All that is easy to do but adds cost over time. If you buy a Jackery 1000 lets say, it will not run the coffee pot, might run the hot plate but not for long. That is my issue with solar, it gets expensive to start very quickly. If you make $500k a year it is no big deal, but on a fixed income it is a bit different. Not trying to debate, just learn. You folks know far more than me about this.
Please, for your own sake, go to the resources section of this site and do the solar audit before diving in. Account mathematically the worst case for your needs, the reality of usable sun in your area and the weather pattern of the past (and what the world is becoming in you area). Solar at the budget you are talking may not be the best way to roll if you are caring for elderly and there is critical care breathing equipment involved.

Thank you. I live on a fixed income due to blindness. I am looking strictly at “keep you alive” type solutions on a budget of $1400 or less. I am not trying to power the 5000 square feet home with $100k in solar while making a six figure income. LOL I live with my parents on a small farm. I help take care of a 70 and 73 year old adult. The idea here is to be able to do the following:

charge smartphone and iPad
run a cpap
(kilowatt values listed)
run a toaster 800 watts
coffee maker 1350 watts
hot plate to make food 1000 watts
run a room space heater 600/900/1500 watts
power the cable modem/wifi
run a 5 watt usb light bulb
Power a 5000 btu window AC to cool one room on a 95 degree day.
the idea is make your coffee and unplug it. Cook your food and unplug it.
The entry cost of solar seems high, yet you buy it once and done. You buy a 2200 watt inverter Honda and then you have to buy gas, keep gas fresh, change oil, adjust the valves over time, etc. All that is easy to do but adds cost over time. If you buy a Jackery 1000 lets say, it will not run the coffee pot, might run the hot plate but not for long. That is my issue with solar, it gets expensive to start very quickly. If you make $500k a year it is no big deal, but on a fixed income it is a bit different. Not trying to debate, just learn. You folks know far more than me about this.
If you want to daily power all that and your limit is 1400, I recommend you study DIY.

The cells and protection, the inverter, and panels will top that figure quickly.
A standalone pre-made unit will be far more.

Please, for your own sake, go to the resources section of this site and do the solar audit before diving in. Account mathematically the worst case for your needs, the reality of usable sun in your area and the weather pattern of the past (and what the world is becoming in you area). Solar at the budget you are talking may not be the best way to roll if you are caring for elderly and there is critical care breathing equipment involved.
Thank you very much for the wisdom and advice.

If you want to daily power all that and your limit is 1400, I recommend you study DIY.

The cells and protection, the inverter, and panels will top that figure quickly.
A standalone pre-made unit will be far more.
I do not think I was very clear, sorry about that. I do not want to power all of that daily. My goal is to have a system in place for emergency power if the grid power fails during a storm, hurricane, etc. I do not want to power everything at once. That is just a list of items I would like to power one at a time for a few moments at a time during a power outage. Sorry for not being clear.

Back