diy solar

diy solar

WiFi Smart Plug

SolarRich

I want to use these wifi smart plugs to automatically turn on electrical loads after my battery is fully charged. The system is grid tied but I want to use the power before it gets sent back to the grid if possible. I have a Perl program running on a desktop computer to automate this. The main problem I'm having now is the reliability of the smart plugs.
So far I've ordered 3 Shelly Plug US from Amazon and 2 were doa. One is working fine. After googling smart plugs I see they are all basically junk. Does anyone know of a well made smart plug that will at least not be doa?
Here's what I ordered:

I liked the Shelly products because I can control them using http commands. Some of the smart plugs(shelly and other brands) can be flashed with tasmota firmware and that has http commands.

My Kasa plugs from tp-link have been working well for several months but they will occasionally forget to turn on.
I haven't tried to custom program them, just used the scheduler in the app.

I've been using Wyze plugs 1st and 2nd gen. 8 total with one failure of a 1st gen after 3 years.

I have several Kasa plugs, mostly controlled via Home Assistant automation, and have found them to be stable and reliable - some like my DHW circulator are turned on+off several dozen times throughout the day.

Update on the Shelly Plugs...The 2 plugs that were bad were sent back to Amazon. The 2 replacements are working fine. If I need more plugs I'll look into those that were recommended here.

I'm using the emporia smart plugs since they work inside the emporia vue monitoring software too to show power usage on things your using them on.

The BN-Link WiFi smart switch on Amazon have been reliable for the last 2 years. Has some automations with the app too.

Just pitching in on the TP-Link front... I have TP-Link smart plugs that have been in daily use switching lamps since their purchase in late 2016. I have a total of four or five tp-link units and every one has been solid thus far.

Not sure about their utility outside their own app, but the hardware has been reliable.

Back