diy solar

diy solar

Will deep cycle marine batts be OK with my controller?

Nath

For a very basic "emergency electrical" off-grid system, I have a LMS 2430 controller.
In it's manual it lists 30A as max charge current and 30A max discharge current.
Using it with a 150w panel.
I have two 12v marine deep cycle batts that I want to connect for a batt bank for them. (I will connect them in parallel.)
Problem: I have just read that marine deep cycle batts don't like charging above about a 2A rate.
Is that 30A controller going to abuse these batts? Or is this one of those confusions between DC amps and AC amps?
If there is a possible problem with such a controller, then would it have a setting to limit the amps to a digestible level for the batts?
Any insight is appreciated.

For a very basic "emergency electrical" off-grid system, I have a LMS 2430 controller.
In it's manual it lists 30A as max charge current and 30A max discharge current.
Using it with a 150w panel.
I have two 12v marine deep cycle batts that I want to connect for a batt bank for them. (I will connect them in parallel.)
Problem: I have just read that marine deep cycle batts don't like charging above about a 2A rate.
Is that 30A controller going to abuse these batts? Or is this one of those confusions between DC amps and AC amps?
If there is a possible problem with such a controller, then would it have a setting to limit the amps to a digestible level for the batts?
Any insight is appreciated
150w panel thru a charge controller in the best case might put out 130 watts.
130 watt / 13.6 volts = 9.56 amps
9.56 amps / 2 batteries = 4.78 amps.
Most 12v deep cycle batteries are I would guess 90ah so you will not have a problem.
I was always taught, basic lead acid battery charged 10% of the amp/hr rating.

@Northernchateau Thanks much for easily-digestible explanation.
Here are some specs that I could find for the type of batt I'm using
Reserve Capacity 25Amp Draw140
Amp Hour @ 20HR Rate75
I'm guessing that means that each of my batts is 75ah.
Please correct me if I'm wrong on the following:
Using your "10% rule", 10% of 75 is 7.5, so it would be OK if any one of these batts were charged at up to 7.5amps
If 2 such batts are connected in parallel, a charge of say max 10amps would be divided equally between them, so each would be getting approx 5amps, and this would keep them in a safe charging zone (under 7.5).
If I were charging only one such battery, the system might harm that one batt in the summer, but prob not in the winter.
If I were to use higher wattage in panels, then I'd probably better get more batts in parallel
Does that all make sense?

@Northernchateau Thanks much for easily-digestible explanation.
Here are some specs that I could find for the type of batt I'm using
Reserve Capacity 25Amp Draw140
Amp Hour @ 20HR Rate75
I'm guessing that means that each of my batts is 75ah.
Please correct me if I'm wrong on the following:
Using your "10% rule", 10% of 75 is 7.5, so it would be OK if any one of these batts were charged at up to 7.5amps
If 2 such batts are connected in parallel, a charge of say max 10amps would be divided equally between them, so each would be getting approx 5amps, and this would keep them in a safe charging zone (under 7.5).
If I were charging only one such battery, the system might harm that one batt in the summer, but prob not in the winter.
If I were to use higher wattage in panels, then I'd probably better get more batts in parallel
Does that all make sense?
It's all fun with Solar Math.
The 10% is way safe. It really depends on the size and how the battery was built but for what you have going on, connect it and forget it.

Back