diy solar

diy solar

wind and solar combination

freeflow

Hi looking for some advice and info, I am using a 3KVA/2400W Solar Inverter with two series batteries and 2 solar panels each capable of 320w. The inverter is a grid tie-in and ups style design with an Mppt charge controller. My question is, I like to also add a wind turbine for night time charging, are i am correct in saying that all i need is a wind turbine charge controller to charge the batteries or will this give back feed into the solar charge controller and what cables would i need to connect the charge wind turbine controller to the batteries, same size as to the inverter or can they be smaller? Also what happens when the batteries get full? Wish to avoid overcharging.

Any ideas and tips are welcome.

Do you have steady winds over 12-15mph all night long?

There’s a gazillion other things to worry about with wind but first: 97% of the locales in the US are not suitable for wind power. If you aren’t in a good spot with constant steady wind you’re better off with more battery and another panel or two

Do you have steady winds over 12-15mph all night long?

There’s a gazillion other things to worry about with wind but first: 97% of the locales in the US are not suitable for wind power. If you aren’t in a good spot with constant steady wind you’re better off with more battery and another panel or two
We live in Scotland UK so we got more wind than the sun, i just feel confident that a small turbine will complement it, not looking to run the whole of the house, just computers, tv, lights, etc

just feel confident that a small turbine will complement it
You need steady constant 12-15mph+ to run the small turbines with any sortof usable power expectation. . The small Chinese turbines advertise 500W but many many people get maybe 50W out of them.

Hi looking for some advice and info, I am using a 3KVA/2400W Solar Inverter with two series batteries and 2 solar panels each capable of 320w. The inverter is a grid tie-in and ups style design with an Mppt charge controller. My question is, I like to also add a wind turbine for night time charging, are i am correct in saying that all i need is a wind turbine charge controller to charge the batteries or will this give back feed into the solar charge controller and what cables would i need to connect the charge wind turbine controller to the batteries, same size as to the inverter or can they be smaller? Also what happens when the batteries get full? Wish to avoid overcharging.

Any ideas and tips are welcome.
I believe your idea is viable. A small wind turbine even if generating a little power constantly provides a lot of work ;-/. My question would be how many inputs on your charge controller? If two then your good to go. If not then a secondary charge controller in parallel with the first should work nicely. Depending on batteries in use lead acid, LI or LIP there may be some controller configuration necessary. I'm working with this same type hybrid system , just on the other side of the pond. Good luck. Let me know how it turns out .

Cheer mate,
Mark

I am in Northern Ireland and thinking of same thing as @freeflow. I have seen a few guys on YouTube recommend REAL turbines from China - anyone any experience of these? I have a bigger question about having 2 seperate inverters (solar and wind), which I can't find an answer to (yet) online, about anti-islanding. Is it possible that, even for a short while, both inverters could confuse each other and continue to output power in event of power loss on grid? I would think it extremely unlikely, but a few seconds could potentially cause considerable damage.

Thanks.

Back