diy solar

diy solar

Solar plus wind

offgrid22

Hello to all, I AM new here and even less than new at what I am attempting, I have a small 48v solar set up with 2500w of solar and about a 20K battery bank. I AM using a 6K inverter with built in charge controller. I would like to tie in a small wind turbine for winter use since I get less sun. My question is, will there be a problem connecting the 48v from the turbines controller to my battery bank? I plan on having disconnect switches on bothe the solar coming in and the turbine voltage coming in. So they will never be on at the same time. Will the voltage going to the batteries cause any issues with my inverter? Hope my concern is understood, looking forward to responses and or solutions. Thank you

That is great news since I just finished putting the turbine up. Not looking for much, just some night time or sun down power with the wind I get here. Thanks again for the response and info.

You may need to make certain your controller can handle a diversion load as the turbine will not stop producing when the batteries get full, but your solar controller will.
I run two separate controllers for this, one for wind with diversion capability and one for solar. Both simply feed into the battery bank, so that part is easy. If the battery voltage exceeds 14.6 volts the 600w diversion load kicks on for 5 seconds.

Check and check, I already have the separate controller and diversion load. Thanks for keeping me in line, if I may, what can you share about turbine breaking?

I have a furling mechanism on mine, but have not seen it work yet, so I am not sure I have the weight and balance tuned correctly yet, but it "should" furl at 35 mph winds. We will see. I can also manually tie it off if I know there is a big storm on the way, but with the way I built it, I really dont think I need to worry about it regardless of wind speed, but we will see. Originally I did have a brake on it but I have since rewired things and did not put the brake back, as I have concerns over high winds overcoming the brake and burning up my motor.

BTW - having a breaker on both feeds is a good idea, but you don't need to shut down one while the other is on, both can feed the batteries simultaneously, mine are always both on, but I put breakers in both feeds so I could work with one system or the other should I need to.
I di have to carefully program both controllers to prevent them fighting at overcharge levels, the wind controller dumps at 14.6v and overcharge on solar is set to 14.8v, and both read slightly different states of charge (usually about 0.1v), so there is that to consider (and program in) as well.

Back