diy solar

diy solar

Zero voltage

I think its something like this one - TULIP

Right, but I'd like some reference from the OP.

I'm extremely dubious a VAWT is going to be able to produce sufficient voltage at low wind speeds. That particular one you linked has a startup speed of 3m/s or 7mph.

Using this as an example:

.52m dia and 1.1m tall

At wind speeds of 15mph, it's only going to produce on the order of 27W.

Given the low wind speeds discussed, I'm dubious there has been enough wind to produce meaningful voltage. The "braking" observed may simply be the controller trying to extract power from it.

Right, but I'd like some reference from the OP.

I'm extremely dubious a VAWT is going to be able to produce sufficient voltage at low wind speeds. That particular one you linked has a startup speed of 3m/s or 7mph.

Using this as an example:

.52m dia and 1.1m tall

At wind speeds of 15mph, it's only going to produce on the order of 27W.

Given the low wind speeds discussed, I'm dubious there has been enough wind to produce meaningful voltage. The "braking" observed may simply be the controller trying to extract power from it.
That's a pricey piece of yard art.

Braking being applied would mean controller feels the need to apply brakes, which should only occur if it doesn't want to put current into battery. Otherwise, it would let turbine's alternator dump current into battery.

Having just battery connected, not the shut resistor brake/regulator, would not put any load on the alternator until alternator RPM was sufficient to create voltage higher than battery. So turbine ought to spin free up to some RPM.

If the charge controller was a boost converter intended to take low voltage from turbine and raise it to voltage of battery, then there could be load at low RPM.

In light wind, with alternator disconnected from everything, turbine ought to spin and create voltage.
In high wind, that could cause over-speed and excessive voltage, damaging things. So test in light wind.

Yes. THIS.
Possibly. PMAs tend to freewheel until they reach breaking voltage. Unless the controller has a buck booster, i don't see the turbine spinning fast enough at the low winds described to create that kind of VA to brake as described.

Braking being applied would mean controller feels the need to apply brakes, which should only occur if it doesn't want to put current into battery. Otherwise, it would let turbine's alternator dump current into battery.

Having just battery connected, not the shut resistor brake/regulator, would not put any load on the alternator until alternator RPM was sufficient to create voltage higher than battery. So turbine ought to spin free up to some RPM.

If the charge controller was a boost converter intended to take low voltage from turbine and raise it to voltage of battery, then there could be load at low RPM.

In light wind, with alternator disconnected from everything, turbine ought to spin and create voltage.
In high wind, that could cause over-speed and excessive voltage, damaging things. So test in light wind.
Hedges says everything I'm thinking except better. 😆

No AC so no DC. I checked for AC before the controller
If the controller is connected to the battery there should be DC present on the output. If you don't have battery voltage present at the controller output, maybe the controller defaults to "brake on"

We really need confirmation of the actual system being used. The one I linked was the only one that mentioned 48v, the amazon one only said 12/24v, so I used the 48v one I found, but no idea if that is the exact unit being discussed.

Apologies, but yes it did produce voltage at quit a low wind speed too, but right now I am putting this project aside to deal with a few other more important things...life off the grid lol. But I will repost when, I do look into it again which will be soon. Thanks to all who provided advice and guidance. Till next time. Live free.

Back