diy solar

diy solar

Purchased the Istabreeze 2000w Windsafe Turbine and Charge Controller

I dont use a slip ring, I convert to DC on the turbine then run a pair of feeds down the pole. When I had it in free rotation I never saw the feed lines bind, it would wrap once maybe twice and then unwind itself. Since then I have locked it out from a full 360 since my winds are either from NW or from SE, so maybe 200 degree is all I allow, so winding is no longer something I am concerned with.
That what the fella that built his own and hung the long heavy cord told me. It required a tower though that had a opening in the middle. If mounted on a long skinny pole and with guy wires the cable will wrap around.

Prevailing wind here is the same as yours except when a bad storm in winter is coming. It will blow straight out of the east and usually a stronger wind. Right before a heavy winter storm would be the perfect time to grab all the output for charging up the battery bank.

If the price is cheap enough, it might be better long term to have a pair of units, one pointed NW to SE and the other SE to NW. No need for a slip ring. It probably would require locking down the rotor on the unit not being used. This prevents wear and extends lifespan.

Actually mine was on the outside of the pole, but I had no guy wires to catch on (using a utility pole), so as long as I had enough slack it just wrapped a few times. I left a big coil of wire on the ground at the base of the pole so it could take what was needed.

Reactions: Zwy
I'm somewhat impressed with output here in a head to head comparison.

It sure isn't like watching photons being converted into electricity but 5Kwh for a day could get some members a little time thru a stretch of very little sun.

From what I've seen on the Youtube videos, they say the rating is 31 mph it should be locked down at that speed. It also seems the slip ring failure occurs most often after high wind. I would guess the slip ring and wiring are not heavy enough for high current during high wind. That is one of the problems with low speed turbines, high wind raises hell with them.

Here is one failure.
Watched the video. Good information. Mine is the windsafe version so maybe it will hold up better. Time will tell

I dont use a slip ring, I convert to DC on the turbine then run a pair of feeds down the pole. When I had it in free rotation I never saw the feed lines bind, it would wrap once maybe twice and then unwind itself. Since then I have locked it out from a full 360 since my winds are either from NW or from SE, so maybe 200 degree is all I allow, so winding is no longer something I am concerned with.
Convert to DC? Is the power from turbine AC? I am new to this and assumed it was producing DC current?

It's a permanent magnet alternator as on motorcycles so produces AC, this is rectified to DC for the controller.

Right, if we still have AC then contactless magnetically coupled "slip rings" become tempting.
Or is that a "motor", and would make the thing spin about a vertical axis?

Sometimes, you want high voltage at the turbine for longer distance transmission. Then step down and rectify at battery.

Yes, I mounted the rectifier underneath the turbine mount as it is an AC alternator. Pic shows wiring to rectifier, DC lines come from the two contacts at the front and run down the support arm and are free from there on down.

Attachments

• rectifier wiring.jpg
    rectifier wiring.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 7
Can someone suggest a meter or shunt to help me monitor the power being produced by the Turbine? I have an extra Victron Smart Shunt but not sure if this would work?

Can someone suggest a meter or shunt to help me monitor the power being produced by the Turbine? I have an extra Victron Smart Shunt but not sure if this would work?
It will work, as long as the voltage is correct. The Smart Shunt has an energy meter function too, I always thought of installing one to see SCC output as I don't have any communication with the SCC's.

That fella in the video uses a shunt with a digital display that shows Kwh accumulated, amperage, voltage and current watts. It depends on how you want to monitor the shunt, display is down and dirty but probably not viewable remote. The Smart Shunt does have BT which allows tablet or phone but range is not that good. One could use the Smart Shunt with Solar Assistant for example and then you can view data anywhere on your smartphone. That is how my battery bank is setup, I use a Smart Shunt with SA and I can see on my phone what power is going in or out. You can buy your own pi and just pay for the license to download SA.

I have heard of some using an old phone with BT connected to the Smart Shunt (instead of SA) and this is then tied to your wireless network to allow remote viewing. You sound like an IT guy so it shouldn't be hard for you to figure out.

Back