diy solar

diy solar

What's best monitor device to track the production of a small wind turbine

PawneeOffgrid

Off Grid out on the Prairie
I am installing a 48v Istabreeze 2000 watt turbine. What is the best way to monitor the power being produced by the turbine? I have a spare Victron Smart Shunt, would that device work.

Thanks

I am installing a 48v Istabreeze 2000 watt turbine. What is the best way to monitor the power being produced by the turbine? I have a spare Victron Smart Shunt, would that device work.

Thanks
Great thinking! It would work on the 48v DC output side of the factory controller.

I assume the input side is 3 phase AC like most of the small wind turbines that I've tinkered with so it won't work there.

Looking forward to you sharing some data!

Great thinking! It would work on the 48v DC output side of the factory controller.

I assume the input side is 3 phase AC like most of the small wind turbines that I've tinkered with so it won't work there.

Looking forward to you sharing some data!
I am going to post a bunch of videos of this turbine. I am having some buyers remorse but maybe it will drive some more traffic to my youtube channel.

I am going to post a bunch of videos of this turbine. I am having some buyers remorse but maybe it will drive some more traffic to my youtube channel.
Please do, I'll like everyone of them! Worst case scenario you've got yourself really cool windvane. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

My property slopes to the south with plenty of mature hardwood trees on north side where the prevailing winds come from. Long story short, one of the main things that has stopped me from pulling the trigger on a small wind turbine is that I'd need a 100' tower to even pretend to get into good wind.

Of course I already know that small wind won't make any more sense for me on a 100' tower than it will on a 30' tower that I hack together from a used telephone or light pole so I really don't have an excuse for not at least trying.

What I'd really like to do is home build one of Hugh Piggott's "brake drum" wind mills.

I really expensive Windvane,. I am having some buyers remorse but time will tell. Probably would have been better served with two more batteries and some more solar panels.

I really expensive Windvane,. I am having some buyers remorse but time will tell. Probably would have been better served with two more batteries and some more solar panels.
But solar panels and batteries aren't near as fun to watch in action as a wind turbine!

Thanks
Do you have a way to log anemometer readings with generation?

Back