diy solar

diy solar

Purchased the Istabreeze 2000w Windsafe Turbine and Charge Controller

It's a permanent magnet alternator as on motorcycles so produces AC, this is rectified to DC for the controller.

Right, if we still have AC then contactless magnetically coupled "slip rings" become tempting.
Or is that a "motor", and would make the thing spin about a vertical axis?

Sometimes, you want high voltage at the turbine for longer distance transmission. Then step down and rectify at battery.

Yes, I mounted the rectifier underneath the turbine mount as it is an AC alternator. Pic shows wiring to rectifier, DC lines come from the two contacts at the front and run down the support arm and are free from there on down.

Attachments

• rectifier wiring.jpg
    rectifier wiring.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 10
Can someone suggest a meter or shunt to help me monitor the power being produced by the Turbine? I have an extra Victron Smart Shunt but not sure if this would work?

Can someone suggest a meter or shunt to help me monitor the power being produced by the Turbine? I have an extra Victron Smart Shunt but not sure if this would work?
It will work, as long as the voltage is correct. The Smart Shunt has an energy meter function too, I always thought of installing one to see SCC output as I don't have any communication with the SCC's.

That fella in the video uses a shunt with a digital display that shows Kwh accumulated, amperage, voltage and current watts. It depends on how you want to monitor the shunt, display is down and dirty but probably not viewable remote. The Smart Shunt does have BT which allows tablet or phone but range is not that good. One could use the Smart Shunt with Solar Assistant for example and then you can view data anywhere on your smartphone. That is how my battery bank is setup, I use a Smart Shunt with SA and I can see on my phone what power is going in or out. You can buy your own pi and just pay for the license to download SA.

I have heard of some using an old phone with BT connected to the Smart Shunt (instead of SA) and this is then tied to your wireless network to allow remote viewing. You sound like an IT guy so it shouldn't be hard for you to figure out.

diy solar

diy solar
Back