diy solar

diy solar

Wire thickness & circuit breaker specs solar setup

Dramacydril

Hi to all,

I need some help with the following 12v setup. I like to use this setup for led lighting / small radio / charging phone

1x JaaSolar panel 300watts
Voc 39.85 v
Vmp 32,26 v
Short circuit current lsc 9.75 A
Max power current lamp 9.30 A
Power selection 0~+5 w

MPPT charge controller 30 AMPS

12Volts - 50 AMPS Lifepo4 Battery

---------------------------------------------------

# Do i need to use breakers on this setup, if yes then what spec dc circuit breakers do i need and between where?

# i have some 2.5mm wire lying here that i want to use for this setup, spec for the wire is max. 4600 Watt/20 Ampère. Can i use this safely?

thanks for your time

For the wire to the panel #10 or #12 would be fine, for the inverter to the battery, would need to know the size of the inverter.

For the wire to the panel #10 or #12 would be fine, for the inverter to the battery, would need to know the size of the inverter.
The solar controller is 30amps. I dont have an inverter yet in the setup. What circuit breakers do i need between solar panels and solar controller? Same for solar controller to battery and battery to lights etc? Thanks

Edit
Lsc of solar panel is 9.75 x 1.56 = 15.21a so that would mean 16 amp breaker between solar panel en controller?

Controller is 30amp, does that mean 35/40 amp breaker between controller and battery?

What about battery to lights etc?

Last edited:
You don't really need a breaker between the panel and controller but you can put an inline 20 amp fuse link and they sell them designed with MC4 connectors that just plug in. Walmart and Amazon has them.

No fuse or breaker needed between controller and battery.

On direct DC wires you can use an inline fuse link and I use a 30 amp. You can get those at any auto parts store.

2.5mm wire is 14 gauge and too light for that application. Try to get 8 gauge for wire from controller to battery and 10 or 12 gauge for panels to controller. Your inverter should come with the wires needed.

You don't really need a breaker between the panel and controller but you can put an inline 20 amp fuse link and they sell them designed with MC4 connectors that just plug in. Walmart and Amazon has them.

No fuse or breaker needed between controller and battery.

On direct DC wires you can use an inline fuse link and I use a 30 amp. You can get those at any auto parts store.

2.5mm wire is 14 gauge and too light for that application. Try to get 8 gauge for wire from controller to battery and 10 or 12 gauge for panels to controller. Your inverter should come with the wires needed.
Thanks for your answer, will do

Back