diy solar

diy solar

Wire

Dennis 1

Hi all,
I have a 10amp Renogy Charge Controller, 100W Rich solar panel and a 35ah battery. The panels are about 30 feet away and the battery about 1 foot. My question is will 10 guage wire be good for hooking up the panels and battery?

Any time you have a question on if you're using the right wire, this calculator will have the answer. Also, you need to provide the specs of the devices in use. If you want answers, don't make us chase down the specs.

Specifications
  • Maximum Power(Pmax): 100W
  • Maximum Power Voltage(Vmp): 18.2V
  • Maximum Power Current(Imp): 5.49A
  • Open Circuit Voltage(Voc): 22.1V
  • Short Circuit Current(Isc): 5.86A
  • Maximum System Voltage(Vmax): 600V DC
Assuming you have two panels in series.
6 amps
60' round trip
36v

Yes, 10 gauge is OK for that distance. You want the voltage drop to be 3% or less. If you have more panels in series then it's even better. But too many panels in series will run up against the max PV input voltage of the solar charge controller. Never exceed that.

1620830194245.png

Hi all,
I have a 10amp Renogy Charge Controller, 100W Rich solar panel and a 35ah battery. The panels are about 30 feet away and the battery about 1 foot. My question is will 10 guage wire be good for hooking up the panels and battery?
You say 100 watt panel which makes sense for a 10A SCC but then you say panels?
Assuming 1 100 watt 10 awg is good at 1.83% voltage drop.

The inputs are saved in this calculator so click to see or change the values

Ok thanks, Opps, the "s" did not need to be there it's only 1 panel
Ok but then why did you not say something when the results were based on 2 panels in series?

You use Voc not Vmp to size the SCC for max volts input.

Ok but then why did you not say something when the results were based on 2 panels in series?

You use Voc not Vmp to size the SCC for max volts input.
Sorry it took a while to get back to you, you are right I now see I think I just over looked it. I tell my kids all the time give me all the facts so I can make the right decision,
and look what I did.
Thanks for the info, I'm hooking up a 10 amp 12v pump motor for my wife to have drip irrigation for the garden. Do you think the 10 guage wire will work for hooking the SCC to the battery

Thanks for the info, I'm hooking up a 10 amp 12v pump motor for my wife to have drip irrigation for the garden. Do you think the 10 guage wire will work for hooking the SCC to the battery

It depends on the wire distance. Fact man, just the facts. :)

Dennis had all the confidence in the world in you . . . . and then you go and tell him that! :ROFLMAO:

Don

Wait until he sees my YouTube Certification document! I keep it right next to my participation trophy.
winner.gif

Back