diy solar

diy solar

Wiring 2 Victron Smart charge controllers in parallel on PV side

30-60 minutes after sunrise should suffice. The panels will warm up, and the voltage will drop.

What's the distance?

BTW, what are your daytime lows?
The only issue with this is that this array is in shade until about 9:30am or so, only then it is fully exposed to sunlight.
The distance is about 90 -110 feet. Not sure exactly, I recently added even more since I was moving it and re-arranging things.
What do you mean by daytime lows? Temperature outside?

The only issue with this is that this array is in shade until about 9:30am or so, only then it is fully exposed to sunlight.
The distance is about 90 -110 feet. Not sure exactly, I recently added even more since I was moving it and re-arranging things.

Losses due to wiring can be calculated.

Panels:
Vmp?
Imp?
Total # of panels?
Battery voltage?

What do you mean by daytime lows? Temperature outside?

Daytime lows - ambient temperature the panels would experience.

This is all more-less theoretical stuff, I know what I'm supposed to do and what I shouldn't. Just trying to see where I can push it to the limits. Doesn't mean I will. My battery and inverter can feed what I need to feed with power, the panels are the weakest point. I need to squeeze as much as I can out of them and find ways to add more of them. It's all good.
I was reading the Victron solar charger manual and came across this tidbit
Check the open circuit voltage (Voc) rating of the PV array. Ensure that it is less than the maximum rated voltage of the solar
charger. Use the MPPT sizing calculator on the solar charger product page. In case the PV array is located in cold climates or if
the night temperature drops close to or below 10°C the PV array can output more than its rated Voc. As a rule of thumb, keep an
additional 10% safety margin.

An overvoltage event can damage the solar charger, depending on how much the maximum PV voltage was exceeded. This
damage is not covered by warranty

An overvoltage event can damage the solar charger, depending on how much the maximum PV voltage was exceeded. This
damage is not covered by warranty
"Can" damage, "depending on how much was exceeded"... that confirms there is a room above 150V. How much more, that is to be discovered by the brave men of this forum :)

"Can" damage, "depending on how much was exceeded"... that confirms there is a room above 150V. How much more, that is to be discovered by the brave men of this forum :)

Can you demonstrate there's any value in pushing those limits? As I mentioned above, the higher the Vmp, the less efficiency. On a 110' run, that might matter a little, but is it worth a 1% gain?

It's much cheaper, easier, and faster to calculate the voltage drop of an array. To that end:

Panels:
Vmp?
Imp?
Total # of panels?
Battery voltage?

Daytime lows - ambient temperature the panels would experience?

Panels:
Vmp?
Imp?
Total # of panels?
Battery voltage?

Daytime lows - ambient temperature the panels would experience?
You forgot one important value, the gauge and type of wires used to bring power to the controller.

Back