diy solar

diy solar

Wiring a 240V load center (breaker box) for 120V single phase

farok

I'm considering switching my plans for my backup system from 240V split phase to just 120V single phase (there's nothing 240V that needs to be powered in an emergency). If so, I would still be using a residential load center. To use both legs in the load center, are there any dangers with jumping one leg to the other? I thought I read somewhere a year or two ago that there are issues with this, but I can't find anyone saying why NOT to do this.

Obviously I wouldn't want ANY 2-pole breakers installed (other than a 1-space tandem).

If no issues, is the best way to achieve this to simply jumper one main lug to the other?

If I have two inverters in parallel single phase (as opposed to just one inverter), I believe I would still want to jumper them so that they can fully share the load and not operate independently, correct?

Chris

FWIW, this is how an RV with a 50A power system gets to use all circuits when connected to single phase 15 or 30A power... the adapters jumper L1 to L2.

It's something I would consider doing in the home if I truly needed no 240V appliances.

FWIW, this is how an RV with a 50A power system gets to use all circuits when connected to single phase 15 or 30A power... the adapters jumper L1 to L2.

It's something I would consider doing in the home if I truly needed no 240V appliances.
The wording you used needs clarification so that somebody doesn't read this later and get hurt.

L1 and L2 are 180* out of phase, and cannot be jumpered together.

You may wire your load center with either L1 or L2 and then bridge the open side of the load panel to the occupied side, making both busses L1 or L2.

You can’t use multiwire branch circuits using this setup. Which usually isn’t a problem when starting that way, but can be when moving existing circuits over.

You should also label the load center with no multiwire branch circuits as well.

Ambassador , you have just described how I am wiring my AC breaker box that will feed the RV I now live in, so that it will supply both sides of the 50/amp panel With single phase power. I too wish to add another multiplus once I get this up and and running..Your suggestion to me on balancing my BB batts the other day seems to be working favorably.. Thank you Sarek.?

Ambassador , you have just described how I am wiring my AC breaker box that will feed the RV I now live in, so that it will supply both sides of the 50/amp panel With single phase power. I too wish to add another multiplus once I get this up and and running..Your suggestion to me on balancing my BB batts the other day seems to be working favorably.. Thank you Sarek.?

LOL... glad it's working for you.

LOL... glad it's working for you.
I have ordered a couple of the smaller Victron chargers to help in doing as you said ( and just have around) as I’m still wiring up the system as a whole .A 12 and 24 volt IP series charger will do a better job than the charger I have to work with now,but at least I can see the logic in your method. As the batteries settle individually after being fully charged I can see which ones need to be paired as you suggested .
each week a little more gets done.. almost ready to re hook it up in it new config.
thank you,Jim.

Back