diy solar

diy solar

Wiring an inverter outlet for outdoor use

blammo585

I am going to put an inverter in my storage building, but I want to run something that is permanent to the outside so that I can use it from outside the building without running to get extension cords and leave the doors open, etc. So I have 2 thoughts. Either run an extension cord through the floor and under the building to the other side, cut the end off, and wire it to an outlet box. Or, run an extension cord either under the building or around the inside and use some kind of inlet/outlet that I install on the building and then I can plug in from the outside.

Any thoughts?

You can use UM Romex. Romex cannot be exposed where there is human access area. It can be encased from receptacle box to ground with a conduit. You don't want someone with a weed whacker to hack their way through exposed Romex.

Most area codes require cable buried at least 18" to 24" deep.

Also need GFCI breaker or GFCI outlet.

You can use UM Romex. Romex cannot be exposed where there is human access area. It can be encased from receptacle box to ground with a conduit. You don't want someone with a weed whacker to hack their way through exposed Romex.

Most area codes require cable buried at least 18" to 24" deep.

Also need GFCI breaker or GFCI outlet.
How could I use the Romex from the inverter though? The inverter would only have a female outlet. I wouldn't be able to bury any cable because I have to run it from the inside front of my building to the outside rear. I couldn't get up under the building to bury anything. I can run conduit up against the underside of the building.

Back