diy solar

diy solar

Wiring question

Glots222

Hooking up two battery banks to one set of panels.
One 12v, one 24v. Been getting parts and trying to figure final wiring.
(12v operational. Adding 24v)
Someone mentioned using a battery switch.
1/2/both/off type. This seems like it would work hooked up “backwards”.
Positive from panels goes to “output”.
Number 1 & 2 INPUT terminals on switch go to each controller.
(One terminal each controller)
If by accident or whatever the switch went to “both” the voltage would be sent to both controllers and they may not work but I don’t believe it would damage anything?
This is also highly unlikely since there would be no way both should be on at the same time.
edit. Forgot to mention 12v AGM, 24v lifepo4

Last edited:
This is also highly unlikely since there would be no way both should be on at the same time.
Assuming that "not on at the same time" means that one is not connected to a battery, it would be bad to connect SCC to array before/without being connected to a battery.

Assuming that "not on at the same time" means that one is not connected to a battery, it would be bad to connect SCC to array before/without being connected to a battery.
Systems are separate.
Yes it does require a bit of conscious thought while turning on or off.
This seems like it should work OK.
My main concern is if I’m missing something and wiring is not right.
In fact I believe both banks could be in use at the same time (isolated from each other going different places) and panels could be switched to either bank (controller) at any time.
You would be shutting of power to controller which would stop charging but batteries, inverter not affected.

Depending on the voltage/amperage of your solar array, your best bet would be to use a DPDT Center off switch, like this one:

The battery switch you propose to use, are only rated for 48v.

Depending on the voltage/amperage of your solar array, your best bet would be to use a DPDT Center off switch, like this one:

The battery switch you propose to use, are only rated for 48v.
The switch is just redirecting standard 10AWG solar panel wire.
It is significantly over rated for the use.
Not concerned about the switch I was trying to see if I overlooked something with wiring but it looks good to me.IMG_0715.jpeg

What is the solar string voltage and ISC?

Is that double pole or single pole? SCC are probably ungrounded do both lines hot/electrically active in complex ways.

What is the solar string voltage and ISC?

Is that double pole or single pole? SCC are probably ungrounded do both lines hot/electrically active in complex ways.
I’m building storage capacity for outages.
Happens a few times a year. Can last from several hours to a few days.
Longest has been five days but that is rare.
Limited on panels. Only have 800 watts.
The switch would be hooked up “backwards” so output from panels (positive) goes to output on switch and then could be directed to either controller, 1 or 2.
At this point i have decided to go with a plug & receptacles instead.
Have a receptacle on each controller and just plug & unplug panels.

Back