diy solar

diy solar

Working on live PV wires. How can I do it safely?

Soiboughtavan

Hey everyone,

I'm new to all of this. I've got four 100W solar panels on the top of my van producing about 39V as per my multimeter. I need to connect these live PV wires to my solar controller eventually. This meaning I'll need to cut and strip the wires to my controller. I'd just like to confirm the safest way to do this.

I'm aware this is likely electrical 101 but as I mentioned, I'm super new and really have nothing outside of youtube and common sense.

Thanks in advance!

Luke.

I use these whenever working with things that can shock me
Thanks for the suggestion. I've checked out a bunch of gloves but I'd likely only use them for the one occasion. Reluctant to purchase an expensive pair of gloves.

Would probably be worth it in the long run though.

Throw a thick blanket or reflective tarp over the PV panels in order to reduce their output voltage to a touch safe level.

I had considered this but just wasn't sure. What would be considered a safe level of voltage to the touch? I'm able to test the wires which makes this an option I'll likely explore.

39 volts? Use caution and proceed normally. Handle one wire at a time. A pair of leather work gloves is fine if super concerned. Can also break the circuit by undoing one of the panel connectors.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've checked out a bunch of gloves but I'd likely only use them for the one occasion. Reluctant to purchase an expensive pair of gloves.

Would probably be worth it in the long run though.

I had considered this but just wasn't sure. What would be considered a safe level of voltage to the touch? I'm able to test the wires which makes this an option I'll likely explore.
Generally 39V *is* safe to the touch for unbroken, clean, dry skin. The larger danger is that you accidentally short the panel leads together, leading to a large current passing through metal, which will heat the metal to a temperature that can burn you and damage equipment. By covering the panels, you may only see a small drop in Voc (with your multimeter), but if you block 99% of the light to the panel (eg. by taping a couple layers of cardboard over it), you remove 99% of its ability to generate current.

Also you can block the sunlight getting to the panel by putting the entire planet earth between the sun and panel. I do this to my panels every day for several hours.

39 volts? Use caution and proceed normally. Handle one wire at a time. A pair of leather work gloves is fine if super concerned. Can also break the circuit by undoing one of the panel connectors.
It's a Renogy setup so I'm working with those awesome MC4 connections. This would work well.

Generally 39V *is* safe to the touch for unbroken, clean, dry skin. The larger danger is that you accidentally short the panel leads together, leading to a large current passing through metal, which will heat the metal to a temperature that can burn you and damage equipment. By covering the panels, you may only see a small drop in Voc (with your multimeter), but if you block 99% of the light to the panel (eg. by taping a couple layers of cardboard over it), you remove 99% of its ability to generate current.

Also you can block the sunlight getting to the panel by putting the entire planet earth between the sun and panel. I do this to my panels every day for several hours.

Appreciate this information! Didn't consider night time.

All of these suggestions have been so helpful. Thanks for all the quick and informative responses!

Hey everyone,

I'm new to all of this. I've got four 100W solar panels on the top of my van producing about 39V as per my multimeter. I need to connect these live PV wires to my solar controller eventually. This meaning I'll need to cut and strip the wires to my controller. I'd just like to confirm the safest way to do this.

I'm aware this is likely electrical 101 but as I mentioned, I'm super new and really have nothing outside of youtube and common sense.

Thanks in advance!

Luke.
It is direct current a lot less dangerous than Alternating current, you can stick the Positive or negative straight into the ground NOTHING WILL happen as long you do not stick the positive AND negative into the ground than you are making a close circuit .
As long you touch one wire at the time you are oke if you have not a crazy high string voltage .
Strip only the cable where you working on DO not pre strip all cables !
You can work bare hands.

Last edited:
It's a Renogy setup so I'm working with those awesome MC4 connections. This would work well.

Appreciate this information! Didn't consider night time.

All of these suggestions have been so helpful. Thanks for all the quick and informative responses!
If it is a stationary installation the first thing you have to do to get rid of these " awesome" mc4 connectors , in the long run they are terrible due corrosion all depending on the climate .
Just solder the cables and heat shrink them with professional heat shrink tube with the glue inside, use the special solar panel cables and you are good for 25 years !
Push the 2 stripped ends into each other and solder them, someting like pushing 2 brushes together

diy solar

diy solar
Back