diy solar

diy solar

I didn't label my 8 PV wires. How can I figure out which is which?

Ubby

I know, I know. I'm an idiot. Anyways, I just finished installing 14,400 watts (4 arrays) of solar to my roof, and all the wires are headed to my brand new EG4 18kpv. Due to a design change (it turns out my wife really doesn't want the inverter/battery in the basement closet), I rerouted the wires to my garage (which I actually prefer) and didn't label them in the process. Is there a nice affordable way to figure out which wire is which?

I know, I know. I'm an idiot. Anyways, I just finished installing 14,400 watts (4 arrays) of solar to my roof, and all the wires are headed to my brand new EG4 18kpv. Due to a design change (it turns out my wife really doesn't want the inverter/battery in the basement closet), I rerouted the wires to my garage (which I actually prefer) and didn't label them in the process. Is there a nice affordable way to figure out which wire is which?
Test the voltage. You will only get voltage between wires that are coming from the same array.

Trace them, and mebbe put some labels on them. Hopefully, they're at least color coded for polarity.

go to the other end at each PV string/panel/etc - short the wires together there - now come back in and see which show zero or low ohms.

go to the other end at each PV string/panel/etc - short the wires together there - now come back in and see which show zero or low ohms.

Yup . Just use continuity tone on tester.

Lots of different ways to skin this cat but op doesn't say if wires are continuous from arrays or if they are hooked up etc

Be careful OP, sounds like you got some good voltage and amps there.

Thanks, all! I only connected up one leg of each array. So there’s no crazy arching going on at the moment. I’ll hook up one at a time and test the voltage. Thanks!

Try sticking your tongue on them and identify them by taste...

Alternatively there is tone testing

Thanks, all! I only connected up one leg of each array. So there’s no crazy arching going on at the moment. I’ll hook up one at a time and test the voltage. Thanks!

So no, don't do this.

Just plug each array-to-inverter lead into itself one at a time and check for continuity.

Much safer than heating up the leads and checking voltage.

if they are color coded then ground one of the unconnected conductors to the ground wire (you did run a ground wire?) then check other end with ohmmeter

Back