diy solar

diy solar

Working out what 1C charging rate is ?

rd400f

Hi
If I have a battery pack that is 4 x 2.5Kwh giving me at total of 10Kwh.
How many DC amps would a 1C charge rate be?
48 Volt system.
Thanks
Richard

Assuming LiFePO4 chemistry with 16 cells??

10kwh @ 48V (actually 51.2V nominal for LFP)

That translates to 195Ah total batt capacity. 1C is 195A that would be quite high for charging current. Unless its a special high current battery a safer charge rate is 0.2C. Or 39A.

Hi
Thanks that info.
So if my Inverter is only letting them charge at 10amps then it is really throttling them.
The Inverter is set to 20amps Max...it seems to set itself according to the battery pack size.
With the Invert set to LI I cant change the Max amps either.
What is a good C rate to charge 25Kwh worth ?...the same 0.2C ?
Thanks
Richard

that's close to 0.1C which is fine
Hi
It might be safe but ,as I am only getting some many hrs of sun each day,it doesn't seem to be letting the battery's grab enough to charge them up before I lose the sun.
Hate to waste the power that the PV array can produce.
Thanks
Richard

Hi
It might be safe but ,as I am only getting some many hrs of sun each day,it doesn't seem to be letting the battery's grab enough to charge them up before I lose the sun.
Hate to waste the power that the PV array can produce.
Thanks
Richard
you said 20a was the max setting on your inverter

maybe an additional array and charge controller is needed if you're not getting to full charge

I think he is saying the inverter is set at 20 amps but only letting 10 amps through while he believes there is more available from the panels.

Hi
Correct the inverter has set itself to 20amps....I believe the battery's will take more than that.
And yes it is only letting 10amps in...I have seen the PV array numbers go way up when a load comes on ...so there is more PV available.
As I am currently sort another battery issue I wont try and sort this current throttling until later.

But looking at this spec sheet
Battery specs.JPG
It seems to say that the 4 x battery pack should take 100Amps.
Am I correct in assume that is 100 DC amps?...same as the "Battery Current" chart in Solar Assistant shows DC amps ?
Thanks
Richard

diy solar

diy solar
Back