diy solar

diy solar

Would Heat on Back of Solar Panels Avoid Rise in VOC?

Kapow_Network

I have unique situation where I may be able to heat the BACKSIDE of the solar panels that are on a trailer roof.
This would be with warm air on the back of the panels. My worry is that the FRONT of the panels might stay somewhat cold.
I guess I'd have to experiment to see what the heat transfer rate is in different situations.
Eg - conditions like snow might lead to more cold and more rapid rise in VOC than rain, etc.

REC 350W 144 Half Cell Solar Panel with appx 46.7 VOC (open circuit voltage).

Idea is to make sure these don't exceed the 150 V max of the Bluetti EP500Pro internal controller.
OR perhaps there are some devices for me to consider to regulate voltage flow ?
Eg - perhaps some kind of device could automatically detect a rise in VOC and shut down or lower the VOC?

Otherwise, and on all warm days of the year, it would be great to get the full voltage out of the panels.

The question, would it make sense to put hot air (eg - up to 85 F) onto the back of solar panels when the front is exposed to cold ?
The coldest temperature on record in the area is -10F. Generally it's only about 28 F at worst (but this is still below freezing).

My only other thought is that if big pieces of hail hit the panels, and one side was ~70 and the other was ~40, the panels, it might break the panels.
But that's not likely (or easy to deal with in any event, even if the panels are not heated).

Thoughts ? Considerations?

I would just wire two panels in series and forget about the rest. With a Vmp of around 80V, your voltage drop is going to be rather low to begin with, and the relatively short wire runs inside an RV shouldn't contribute to too great losses. I'd be more worried about some gimic that was "supposed" to reduce the Voc, but didn't, causing your system to fail.

What region are you in?
My 800 watt roof/40 amp SCC (mobile) rolls 90+ temps in summer, typical -30 in winter.
Voltage in summer high 80s, winter hit 102ish.
I have 120 degree temperature differential, only creating a +- 15 volt difference.That 150 volt max issue may be relevant, if you live on the back side of the moon :)

Back