diy solar

diy solar

wzrelb pure sine wave 5000w 24v power inverte

So I guess we found out the problem in your setup.

You only had your charge controller charging one of the 2 batteries.

You had the inverter feeding on both batteries.

Now I guess I will buy the 2nd solar panel and bridge it together to complete the system. I hope tge batteries aren't too small to store the power
So you guys were right. I plugged in the bug zapper and I think the battery charge lasted but 5 hours to run the bug zapper and the drill battery chargers. Now what to do next....an additional solar panel or bigger batteries!

So you guys were right. I plugged in the bug zapper and I think the battery charge lasted but 5 hours to run the bug zapper and the drill battery chargers. Now what to do next....an additional solar panel or bigger batteries!

What has happened since your last post?

You fully charged both 12V individually to full?
You added a second panel?

Depends.

Panel power/solar conditions determine how much energy you can use per day and how fast you can charge your battery.
Batteries determine how long you can go between charges.

The likely answer is "both" but the more important is likely PV.

You still have an unknown amount of energy you need to supply. Until you know this, you're going to keep randomly spending money and making changes until it eventually works.

We've established that your inverter has a high consumption rate.

We haven't established what your bug zapper uses or what tool battery charging uses.

Suggest you get a kill-a-watt or similar and use it with the devices to establish how much energy you actually need.

I have not added a second panel as of yet but have ordered it along with a new higher watt controller. Both batteries had a full charge. I am going to see how much the zapper pulls for your advice

I believed that when the tool batteries get a full charge that it wouldn't consume much energy??

In your opinion, are the batteries I purchased not enough for what I would like to power or is it just the extra solar panel that I would need?

So the zapper states in the manual that it pulls 110v-60Hz at 15 watts. I would guess that this isn't much and that my system could handle it with no problem

Per this manual:

The 5000W is claimed to only draw 40W.

So the inverter itself is consuming nearly 3X as much as the bug zapper.

I would also assume that the bug zapper may use a little more when it actually zaps something.

Your battery energy:
50Ah*25.6V = 1280Wh

If all you have to power is the inverter and the bug zapper (lets round up to 20W), then that's 60W.

1280Wh / 60W = 21 hours.

Given that you can only run for 5 hours, something is wrong. Possibilities (some or all at once):

Batteries weren't fully charged.
Batteries don't meet claimed capacity.
Using far more power than 60W.
Other.

To give you guys a better idea of what I have and how to proceed...this is what I currently have installed:
1 solar panel
Maximum Voltage‎12 Volts
Maximum Power‎200 Watts
Renogy controller
  • Rated Charge Current: 10A
2 50aH batteries

What would be the best thing to do at this point? Get higher ah batteries, just add an additional panel or change the inverter and keep the setup?

Last edited:
These are the specs on my inverter:
Input: 24VDC Output: 110V-120VAC Frequency: 60Hz

DC input range: 21V-30V

Low Voltage Alarm : 20.5V±1VDC

Low Voltage Shut Down: 19.5V±1VDC

Over Load: shut off, recover manually

Over Voltage Shut Down :30.5V±0.5VDC

Socket:15A USA type

No Load Current Draw: 0.8A

Efficiency: 85%-90%

AC Regulation: 3%

Ok. I apologize but I don't know where to begin. The only items drawing power were the bug zapper and the already charged battery chargers. There in nothing else plugged into the converter. Both batteries were fully charged. Is there some kind of reading I should be looking for? I was just assuming that the one solar panel wasn't enough to keep the system fully charged to last the night??

Screenshot_20240404-172942_Chrome.jpg
These are handy to see what appliances consume. I suspect the batt chargers use more than you realize.

Back