diy solar

diy solar

Xuba Pre-built 277AH LIFEPO4 Battery

wamcneil

Hi all,
My order from Xuba came in last week. I ordered two custom 277AH batteries with Lishen cells.
I've had some time to mess with them, balanced the cells and done a capacity test.
Here are some notes on my experience and review of the Xuba pre-assembled batteries.
Keep in mind... I didn't pay battle-born prices, so it's not reasonable to expect battle-born quality... I figured they might be good enough, and if not I'd replace the BMS, or rewire or whatever. In terms of value, I think it's ok, but I'd definitely get a lot more detailed with the specs if I were to do this again.
  • Production time was good. Batteries were manufactured and delivered to logistics company in 15 days. Shipment took another 2 months, partially because of issues at the port (out of Xuba's control).
  • Brian at Xuba was very responsive. Once it went to logistics I had no direct tracking, but when it was delayed, he was able to get updates on the shipment's status.
  • Boxes were intact on arrival but a little beat up. Batteries inside were well protected with no damage. Lots of closed cell foam inside, fully taped on the outside and plastic corner pieces on the boxes.
  • Appearance of the batteries are great. Housings are beautiful with welded corners and very nice powder coat finish.
    • Boxes were constructed to my specified dimensions.
    • Voltmeter is just a simple volt meter with capacity estimated from V
    • The other plug on the top is like a 3-prong computer power cable with two terminals connected to batt+ and -. I'm not sure what the intended purpose is, but after having seen how the wires are attached inside, I wouldn't try and use it as a power source.
    • I wish I had them delete both the voltmeter and that port.
  • Build:
    • Cells: Prior to purchase, I was told Lishen cells. The cells in my batteries appear to be ETC-LFP-277Ah but I haven't asked them to confirm yet. I'm not sure if this really matters, but I was not informed of the substitution.
    • Capacity: After balancing and fully charging the first battery, I discharged it over about 20 hr period a rates varying from 10a-50a and got 277AH before terminating the test at about 11v (2.75v cell voltage).
    • Busbars: I specified "double busbars", assuming that all batteries like this were constructed with Cu busbars and screws. The cells are joined by 1-18"x~2mm Al busbars welded to the posts. I was unaware that batteries like this can be made with welded Al busbars... I'm not sure this has any practical impact on my intended use for the batteries, but I was not informed of the substitution.
    • BMS:
      • They sent me a picture of the BMS and specs (300a discharge 100a charge), which I figured would be way overstated, but adequate for my purpose. What they didn't tell me was that each battery would have TWO PARALLEL BMSs.
      • The sticker on the BMS is all Chinese except where it says 200a.
      • One battery has both BMS on top of the cells, the other has one on top and one hidden down beneath the side terminals at the end of the cells, oriented vertically.
      • I haven't tested the BMS low-temp cutout, but it supposedly has it.
    • Wiring:
      • Each BMS has two 8ga leads, so total 4x8ga wires on the negative side
      • Pos has 50mm2 cable
      • Lugs are hit-and-miss. Some appear to be well done, but some not.
      • One really obviously BAD issue is the end on a positive cable where they've got a lug crimped on the wire with a hole for a 3/8" stud. Where it attaches to the side-terminal's 1/4" bolt it's not bolted flat to the side-terminal; there's a nut below the lug and another nut above it, and the nuts are only clamping down on one edge of the lug's ring.
      • On the other battery, the negative-end busbar gets really hot at ~80a (haven't dug into it yet to find the issue).
    • Insulation:
      • Lots of adhesive, shrink-wrap, epoxy board and sticky-backed foam.
      • All the screw terminals were liberally coated in adhesive and quite secure.
      • Everything was packed in tight and secured from movement.
      • It is a big chore to carefully cut into them, expose the internals and get the adhesive off the fasteners.
I'll post some pictures.

Last edited:
Pictures

Attachments

• 63435819769__373E849A-37DB-44A5-B816-5C5B053262D5.jpg
    63435819769__373E849A-37DB-44A5-B816-5C5B053262D5.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_4123.jpg
    IMG_4123.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_4125.jpg
    IMG_4125.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_4126.jpg
    IMG_4126.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_4133.jpg
    IMG_4133.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_4134.jpg
    IMG_4134.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_4139.jpg
    IMG_4139.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_4140.jpg
    IMG_4140.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_4141.jpg
    IMG_4141.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_4142.jpg
    IMG_4142.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 176
Thanks for the review,
One small correction, 277Ah cells are ETC cells not Lishen cells

About $1500 total. $643 each plus $233 shipping for both
I'm thinking you need to let them know that at that price, you were expecting better quality. Looks more like a DIY cheap as dirt garage project rather than a professionally assembled battery pack. I understand it isn't Battleborn, but really, I'd complain about the quality of workmanship. Apparently if it is covered by a case that looks nice, they think you should be happy. I'm not sure why they can't just assemble a decent quality and workmanship battery. One would think there is a market for such a product.

Yeah, I plan to complain about several aspects once I've had a chance to properly balance the 2nd battery and test capacity.
First test run on that battery, one cell hit the low limit at about 240ah. I think I had it pretty well top balanced, but want to put it through a couple cycles and make sure it's a problem with the cell.

Yeah, I plan to complain about several aspects once I've had a chance to properly balance the 2nd battery and test capacity.
First test run on that battery, one cell hit the low limit at about 240ah. I think I had it pretty well top balanced, but want to put it through a couple cycles and make sure it's a problem with the cell.
You might want to send them a link to this thread. Seriously.

Stupidity and greed can be bad for business.

Good suggestion! I will do that.
Yes, you opening up those packs and posting pictures of the quality of workmanship has put an end to any thoughts of ordering an assembled battery from Xuba for me. Xuba should pay attention, I have ordered from them in the past, and the quality shown here has put into perspective their thoughts on quality and value. Basically they are counting on people not to inspect their work, so they can make maximum profit.

People will pay for quality, not for this.

Yeah. It's a little aggravating to have to reconstruct them. I wonder if the construction would have been better if it was one of their 'standard' batteries. I think they had to get kind of creative in order to shoehorn 272ah into the case dimensions that I specified.
Still, there's no excuse for putting a 10mm ring terminal on a 6mm post.

sorry but that is.... BAD. I would be worried about logevity, Please take out your cells and inspect them to make sure they did not get bounced around during transport.

Hi all,
My order from Xuba came in last week. I ordered two custom 277AH batteries with Lishen cells.
I've had some time to mess with them, balanced the cells and done a capacity test.
Here are some notes on my experience and review of the Xuba pre-assembled batteries.
Keep in mind... I didn't pay battle-born prices, so it's not reasonable to expect battle-born quality... I figured they might be good enough, and if not I'd replace the BMS, or rewire or whatever. In terms of value, I think it's ok, but I'd definitely get a lot more detailed with the specs if I were to do this again.
  • Production time was good. Batteries were manufactured and delivered to logistics company in 15 days. Shipment took another 2 months, partially because of issues at the port (out of Xuba's control).
  • Brian at Xuba was very responsive. Once it went to logistics I had no direct tracking, but when it was delayed, he was able to get updates on the shipment's status.
  • Boxes were intact on arrival but a little beat up. Batteries inside were well protected with no damage. Lots of closed cell foam inside, fully taped on the outside and plastic corner pieces on the boxes.
  • Appearance of the batteries are great. Housings are beautiful with welded corners and very nice powder coat finish.
    • Boxes were constructed to my specified dimensions.
    • Voltmeter is just a simple volt meter with capacity estimated from V
    • The other plug on the top is like a 3-prong computer power cable with two terminals connected to batt+ and -. I'm not sure what the intended purpose is, but after having seen how the wires are attached inside, I wouldn't try and use it as a power source.
    • I wish I had them delete both the voltmeter and that port.
  • Build:
    • Cells: Prior to purchase, I was told Lishen cells. The cells in my batteries appear to be ETC-LFP-277Ah but I haven't asked them to confirm yet. I'm not sure if this really matters, but I was not informed of the substitution.
    • Capacity: After balancing and fully charging the first battery, I discharged it over about 20 hr period a rates varying from 10a-50a and got 277AH before terminating the test at about 11v (2.75v cell voltage).
    • Busbars: I specified "double busbars", assuming that all batteries like this were constructed with Cu busbars and screws. The cells are joined by 1-18"x~2mm Al busbars welded to the posts. I was unaware that batteries like this can be made with welded Al busbars... I'm not sure this has any practical impact on my intended use for the batteries, but I was not informed of the substitution.
    • BMS:
      • They sent me a picture of the BMS and specs (300a discharge 100a charge), which I figured would be way overstated, but adequate for my purpose. What they didn't tell me was that each battery would have TWO PARALLEL BMSs.
      • The sticker on the BMS is all Chinese except where it says 200a.
      • One battery has both BMS on top of the cells, the other has one on top and one hidden down beneath the side terminals at the end of the cells, oriented vertically.
      • I haven't tested the BMS low-temp cutout, but it supposedly has it.
    • Wiring:
      • Each BMS has two 8ga leads, so total 4x8ga wires on the negative side
      • Pos has 50mm2 cable
      • Lugs are hit-and-miss. Some appear to be well done, but some not.
      • One really obviously BAD issue is the end on a positive cable where they've got a lug crimped on the wire with a hole for a 3/8" stud. Where it attaches to the side-terminal's 1/4" bolt it's not bolted flat to the side-terminal; there's a nut below the lug and another nut above it, and the nuts are only clamping down on one edge of the lug's ring.
      • On the other battery, the negative-end busbar gets really hot at ~80a (haven't dug into it yet to find the issue).
    • Insulation:
      • Lots of adhesive, shrink-wrap, epoxy board and sticky-backed foam.
      • All the screw terminals were liberally coated in adhesive and quite secure.
      • Everything was packed in tight and secured from movement.
      • It is a big chore to carefully cut into them, expose the internals and get the adhesive off the fasteners.
I'll post some pictures.
I was chatting with xuba and referenced this review. They say they have made changes to correct all of these issues and that they are working with you to make things right. Basically, they said they will work until you are satisfied.

Does that sound correct to you?

I was chatting with xuba and referenced this review. They say they have made changes to correct all of these issues and that they are working with you to make things right. Basically, they said they will work until you are satisfied.

My impression is that they likely will make an effort, it's just bad luck to be an early adopter and get prototypes. I suspect future orders will be better. I would suggest that they limit configurations and only sell a few, and concentrate on getting fit, finish, and quality right rather than making custom configurations. I would also suggest that they do actual capacity testing on each cell, top balance, and then supply the testing data with each battery. Time and money, but a professional job, along with valid test data would be a value add proposition that many would pay for.

I wasn't planning to update till after some kind of resolution, but they're working on it.
During their New Year holiday they sent a very thoughtful sincere sounding response to my concerns. Said they are working on a resolution and would have something for me in late Feb. Apparently the batteries are assembled by another company, but I don't have any more information on that presently.
I'll give a full update once we come to some kind of resolution. I'm hoping that I can tell the community that they resolved it to my satisfaction!

My impression is that they likely will make an effort, it's just bad luck to be an early adopter and get prototypes. I suspect future orders will be better. I would suggest that they limit configurations and only sell a few, and concentrate on getting fit, finish, and quality right rather than making custom configurations. I would also suggest that they do actual capacity testing on each cell, top balance, and then supply the testing data with each battery. Time and money, but a professional job, along with valid test data would be a value add proposition that many would pay for.
I think part of the problem is that I specified a fully custom box and I hope they can work our these issues to start supplying some really great batteries at a really great price. I wasn't planning on these to be Battle-Born batteries, but I did plan to get workable batteries. Hopefully I will once this is resolved.
"I would also suggest that they do actual capacity testing on each cell"- If you want that level of quality control you'll probably need to buy battle-born batteries and pay battle-born prices. Testing each cell for capacity would greatly increase the total cost of a battery IMO. My contract states "272 ah" so I think they'll be obligated to remedy the reduced capacity.
I have mixed feelings on the welded busbars. On the one hand, welding makes a pretty darn good and reliable electrical connection, and I don't plan to pull more than about 100a from each battery anyway. But on the other hand, replacing the one sketchy cell is not real practical. I could probably get an end-mill for my drill press, clamp the pack into some kind of jig and cut down to the top of the terminal, then rebuild the cell with Cu busbars.
Knowing what I know now... I would have been a LOT more detailed with my specifications...
Assuming they treat me right, I'll probably order from them again.

Last edited:
Back