diy solar

diy solar

Yikes! I have a leaking LiFePO4 cell!

bcrosby

I am in the process of building a 24V LiFePO4 battery pack out of 72Ah cells. This morning I went out to the shop to find one cell that had been laying on its side overnight with a few drops of leakage coming out of its vent. (I have not tested other cells to see if they would leak.) How serious is this? Should the cell be discarded? Your thoughts, please! And, thanks in advance for your input!

Leaking cells is a pretty rare thing and can be very dangerous since the stew inside is very toxic.

Do you know who the manufacturer of the cells is? .... and pics please.

Leaking cells is a pretty rare thing and can be very dangerous since the stew inside is very toxic.
I thought differently so i looked it up on wikipages (if you don't like the answer, edit the wiki):

<snip>
Because of low cost, low toxicity, well-defined performance, long-term stability, etc. LiFePO
4 is finding a number of roles in vehicle use, utility scale stationary applications, and backup power.[6] LFP batteries are cobalt-free.

<snip>
Reversible extraction of lithium from LiFePO4 and insertion of lithium into FePO4 was demonstrated. Because of its low cost, non-toxicity, the natural abundance of iron, its excellent thermal stability, safety characteristics, electrochemical performance, and specific capacity (170 mA·h/g, or 610 C/g) it has gained considerable market acceptance.

OTOH:
If you had LiFePo4, that many here talk about, then its clear that the polonium is very highly radioactive and toxic but fortunately has a very short half life.

I'm just going from what I remember from when Will had leaking cells.

After doing some research, he was very concerned about the toxicity of his leak.

Maybe relative to other cell types, they aren't AS toxic, but I wouldn't want the chemicals out of the cells anywhere near me. The odor of the cells is also very bad ... not sure what happens when you breath it.

@MisterSandals The cathode material, yes. The electrolyte on the other hand can be quite nasty depending on which one is used. I believe the electrolyte used in these batteries consists of LiPF6 (together with some kind of carbonate), which when it comes into contact with water creates Hydrogen Fluoride which is dangerous.
Thanks! I learned something today!

Is there a difference between the two that one can see like color or ??
How would one know which fluid you have leaking?

Thanks! I learned something today!

Is there a difference between the two that one can see like color or ??
How would one know which fluid you have leaking?

Most cells outside special purposes use LiPF6 as far as I know. There are other types, but they have potential disadvantages such as being highly corrosive. They're usually only used for special applications. Also, the current shortages (and increasing prices) of LiFePO4 (and other batteries) is partly due to LiPF6 shortage:

My plan has been to assemble a 24V battery pack from 32-72Ah cells. Given this new reality, and out of an abundance of caution, I'll revise my plan to use 24-72Ah cells. I'd rather go with reduced capacity than wonder if my pack is safe/healthy. Thanks for your input!

I just discovered a leaking cell today. Lishen Cells, 300AH and installed for two weeks in the 5th wheel RV. Rig was stationary during this time and no visible short or damage other than now having delamination of the blue shrink wrap due to being wet. Batteries were 4s for a single 12v battery. Never charged above 3.45v or below 3.0v. According to BMS the cell thst leaked was within 0.004v of the others was working fine. Didnt even notice it until I opened bay door and could smell a chemical of some type. I'm not sure why it's leaking and also not sure what to do with it. I assume it'll continue to leak, but not sure how to dispose of it. Any recommendations or concerns? I read thr MSDS on it and it seems like scary stuff so it's on the porch in plastic bag.

I just discovered a leaking cell today. Lishen Cells, 300AH and installed for two weeks in the 5th wheel RV. Rig was stationary during this time and no visible short or damage other than now having delamination of the blue shrink wrap due to being wet. Batteries were 4s for a single 12v battery. Never charged above 3.45v or below 3.0v. According to BMS the cell thst leaked was within 0.004v of the others was working fine. Didnt even notice it until I opened bay door and could smell a chemical of some type. I'm not sure why it's leaking and also not sure what to do with it. I assume it'll continue to leak, but not sure how to dispose of it. Any recommendations or concerns? I read thr MSDS on it and it seems like scary stuff so it's on the porch in plastic bag.

Wow .... we are seeing this more and more frequently now. I don't know about those 72 AH cells, but it seems Lishen has a problem.
The 170's in the Big Battery product were Lishen as well.

I can't advise you about disposal ... but some will probably check in who can. Just make sure to wear chemical proof gloves when handling them.

How are your cells mounted? Who did you buy them from? Maybe you can make a warranty claim.

Wow .... we are seeing this more and more frequently now. I don't know about those 72 AH cells, but it seems Lishen has a problem.
The 170's in the Big Battery product were Lishen as well.

I can't advise you about disposal ... but some will probably check in who can. Just make sure to wear chemical proof gloves when handling them.

How are your cells mounted? Who did you buy them from? Maybe you can make a warranty claim.
They were mounted in a battery box, slightly compressed and terminals were vertical. Leak was from the bottom of the cell, no where near vent. I bought them from a "reputable" referral from this forum. I'm going to reach out to them to see how they handle situation.

That sounds consistent with what @Sunfunkits said about the welds being the leak point .... please let us know how it works out for you.

Back