diy solar

diy solar

Yinlong LTO 45ah Voltage Problem

Aaron_lto

So I got a single bank of Xs Power Lto 45ah 6 cells from a good trusted supplier. Connected everything up correctly and have a QNBBM 6S Active Balancer connected and have found that when I charge up to 14.9-15 volts when on a charger I noticed 1 cell #5 would start to go up at a fast rate beyond what it should. I seen it had 2 dents on it and I replaced that cell with another new one from same supplier connected it up that cell seems fine now but then I see #2 cell is also starting to do the same thing and it was not doing it when #5 cell was acting up. So my question is is it a cell problem or the placement of cells with slightly different internal resistance or should all 6 cells be the same internal resistance? I also connected the battery bank up to my car with jumper cables that has the same type of bank and watched the cell voltages and that one cell didn't get past 2.540 volts while the others was at 2.495 and car was charging at 14.98 volts drove it around for 10 minutes.

So I got a single bank of Xs Power Lto 45ah 6 cells from a good trusted supplier. Connected everything up correctly and have a QNBBM 6S Active Balancer connected and have found that when I charge up to 14.9-15 volts when on a charger I noticed 1 cell #5 would start to go up at a fast rate beyond what it should. I seen it had 2 dents on it and I replaced that cell with another new one from same supplier connected it up that cell seems fine now but then I see #2 cell is also starting to do the same thing and it was not doing it when #5 cell was acting up. So my question is is it a cell problem or the placement of cells with slightly different internal resistance or should all 6 cells be the same internal resistance? I also connected the battery bank up to my car with jumper cables that has the same type of bank and watched the cell voltages and that one cell didn't get past 2.540 volts while the others was at 2.495 and car was charging at 14.98 volts drove it around for 10 minutes.
Do LTO need top balancing...?

They do say to balance them so all cells read the same i've done that.
How are the busbars... do they all have good contact with the studs...? Do the balancing leads have good connectors..? Just throwing some questions out there.. I’m not an expert on LTO by any means..

I’d imagine all the cells should have roughly the same internal resistance.. do they have any labeling... batch numbers I wonder..?

How are the busbars... do they all have good contact with the studs...? Do the balancing leads have good connectors..? Just throwing some questions out there.. I’m not an expert on LTO by any means..
Yes they are solid aluminum busbars with a stainless nut they was designed for these. balancer is just wire from busbar to a green connector tightened down.

I’d imagine all the cells should have roughly the same internal resistance.. do they have any labeling... batch numbers I wonder..?
just a barcode with a number on them they all fell in line matching pack till i had to replace that one cell which seems to have a older number only 400 cells older probably still made that same day.

Yes they are solid aluminum busbars with a stainless nut they was designed for these. balancer is just wire from busbar to a green connector tightened down.
I’m just guessing here but maybe the cells aren’t “matched”... as in not from the same manufacturing batch... hence cells responding differently under charge...

just a barcode with a number on them they all fell in line matching pack till i had to replace that one cell which seems to have a older number only 400 cells older probably still made that same day.
I wish I had more experience with LTO.. you probably know more than I do Aaron...

Just seen this after I posted my “mismatched” comment.

Somewhat this was my first build with them. The other battery bank was bought from CES custom electric
Maybe see if you can balance them further...otherwise I’d just use them and see how they progress...what do you think..?

Just seen this after I posted my “mismatched” comment.
but its weird as im charging under 14.9 all the cells seem to act perfect. But after that its as if the ir went down in that one cell idk? As this is going into my truck i will be charging at 15-15.1 i can change it if needed

Maybe see if you can balance them further...otherwise I’d just use them and see how they progress...what do you think..?
That was the plan i'm always trying to be careful so no cell ends up venting and being bad later i'll just have to throw it in and see what happens. Hopefully having 1 cell that reads higher won't cause a problem with cell life these are rated for a very long time.

Wondering did you top balance them in parallel before you built them into pack.. as you would do with new lifepo4...?

That was the plan i'm always trying to be careful so no cell ends up venting and being bad later i'll just have to throw it in and see what happens. Hopefully having 1 cell that reads higher won't cause a problem with cell life these are rated for a very long time.
They have crazy lifespan... can understand why you’re being cautious...

Wondering did you top balance them in parallel before you built them into pack.. as you would do with new lifepo4...?
I did the first time but with all the testing an all it changed but i've just let the balancer do the work and come back a day later all read the same by then anyway.

I did the first time but with all the testing an all it changed but i've just let the balancer do the work and come back a day later all read the same by then anyway.
I need my bed lol... it’s 3am nearly here in Ireland.. anyhow... good luck with the LTO.. don’t think you could go much more than you’ve already done..

Back