diy solar

diy solar

“Front detection IC error” alarm

CandaceBlair

HELP! What is a “front detection IC error???” It’s keeping me from turning on my inverter. I can clear the other two messages because my batteries have been top balanced. Once I manually calibrate the voltage they will go away. I don’t know what this error is to clear it. I know that this works because I did it last week. But I have no clue how this alarm when away then.

I’ve been waiting days for a response from overkill, it’s not in the manual and I can’t find anything on Google about this alarm.

My batteries are dying a slow death because my BMS is not managing them!

Attachments

• 81B0A48B-3FA0-408D-8130-D7AEE4B91C24.png
    81B0A48B-3FA0-408D-8130-D7AEE4B91C24.png
    788.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Any luck ? I just build my first diy battery and I have the same error
Happen to have a screenshot of your BMS display?

Looking at the OPs post (first time I have seen it), the battery was too low to power the BMS.

What is the voltage of your battery and cells?
Have a photo of your battery/wiring?

Any luck ? I just build my first diy battery and I have the same error
It seems that when I recalibrate the readings it goes away. The voltage shown wasn’t correct so I manually reset it with my voltmeter by getting a reading for each battery and inputting that number and the error went away. All my power came back on as well, it had died.

For any folks who come across this error - Frontend IC - on an overkill BMS, I was told by the tech at Overkill that this often occurs when the B- terminal on the BMS is not connected. In my case, I was setting up a new system: 8S 305 amp battery > Overkill BMS > Outback VFX 3524 inverter and was getting the error Frontend IC error on the BMS which would shut it down and not pass current to the inverter. My setup was temporary to test the concept and I was using huge 4/0 cable from the battery negative to the BMS. I know this is overkill ;) but it's what I had handy before cutting and finishing 2 awg cable for the final setup. When I replaced the 4/0 awg cable with 2 awg the error message disappeared.

TL;DR - Using a wire that's too large can result in a Frontend IC error on the Overkill BMS. I've seen cautions from Victron to not use cable that's too big for the application.

Back