diy solar

diy solar

12 volt light system wiring questions

Hravn

Wiring 12 volt led lights in several strings for a small cabin. Two main questions:
1. not vehicle mounted so I‘m assuming I can use 10/2 romex behind drywall going thru studs with no issues. Is this correct?
2. do I need to use a junction box behind each of the led lights as one would for ac circuits?

most of the 12 volt circuits I’m used to seeing on boats and trailers just jam connections into the light or accessory.
everything is coming out of a 24 volt eg4 battery through a Victron distributor and a 24-12 transformer into a blue sea fuse block. 3 seperate series strings each on a 5 amp fuse. Each light incorporates its own switch.

thanks in advance.

Yeah it's fine to not have junction boxes.

10/2 Romex? That's huge dude.

Use 14 gauge in wall speaker wire for 12v led lighting.

Future proofing, since I’m running the wire, if there’s a shift to all ac, done and done. Plus no voltage drop over distance. But yes, way overkill. Have it laying around already tho.

You might find that the solid conductors in Romex are hard to work with for the 12V devices.

I'm skeptical of your claim, please provide supporting evidence.
Could you use solid romex sure. Could you use bailing wire, sure. Not sure that they would be the best tool for the job though. Every person that I have ever talked to , read articles on, including Will Prowse on here, recommends strand wire. All Solar and DC application wire that I have found is copper strand. If solid wire was the best tool for the job, why are solid wires not found for DC Solar applications? Maybe everyone is wrong and you are right, not going to argue. For me right now I will follow the masses and use copper strand.

Could you use solid romex sure. Could you use bailing wire, sure. Not sure that they would be the best tool for the job though. Every person that I have ever talked to , read articles on, including Will Prowse on here, recommends strand wire. All Solar and DC application wire that I have found is copper strand. If solid wire was the best tool for the job, why are solid wires not found for DC Solar applications? Maybe everyone is wrong and you are right, not going to argue. For me right now I will follow the masses and use copper strand.
Stranded wire is recommended for mobile applications.
Its not about DC.
It is about vibration and work hardening.
It is also about flexibility for heavy gauge wire.

@Will Prowse

Twisted strand wire, gauge to gauge, has more resistance per foot than solid.

It's just easier to work with and work hardening etc etc.

Bolt down connections such as those used in charge controllers and inverters work better with stranded wire because it crushed and allows more wire surface area to contact the connection.

Battery crimps work with stranded for the same reason.

Op is fine using Romex for his cabin buts it's more difficult to work with but he already it on hand so the financial benefits outweigh all.

And so forth.

Also op, you're OK using household snap switches for your lighting. They look the best in a cabin. You'll need boxes for them though.

I will have a couple of 120 v ac outlets to run a fridge and tools coming off an inverter, so running romex for those. At least around here 10/2 romex is cheaper than 2 rolls of stranded 10 gauge. But in any case I’ve got a pile of romex. Since it’s not a Mobile context, if the only problem is that its a bit more difficult, then, nbd.

Back