diy solar

diy solar

Mostly victron questions

Bluedog225

Texas
I’m trying to commission my system. I’d appreciate some help with a couple questions.

Is the AC output on a Victron Quattro internally fused in the Quattro? Or do I need to run the AC out to a small breaker box and then to my quad box? I don’t expect to do anything stupid but you never know.

Can I run the AC out from the Quattro just using regular 12/2 Romex? Wiring it like a traditional AC system in my old 1950s house? All these lugs and crimps I’ve been doing lately have hurt my brain. Just loop the copper on the stud and tighten?

What’s the easiest/cheapest way to precharge the Quattro capacitors? I’m powering off a 48 volt SOK rack. Or do the SOKs have precharge built in? I’ve got no capacitors. But I have some romex and light bulbs. Do I remember a pencil can be used? I will try to find the manual and check.

I’m moving a victron 150/35 mppt from 12 volts to 48 volts. If I hook it up to the battery first, will it automatically reset?

Many thanks

Tom

12/2 (I.e. 20amps - 2400w) is probably too small for the Quattro.

Remember the breaker is protect the wire - not the equipment.

Without knowing the size of the Quattro- #6awg to a small breaker box, then 12/2 or 14/2 wires with 20a or 15a breakers. That way you can shut off something without shutting everything down.

Run the 120v stuff just like your house.

On the mppt - hook it up to the battery- then check and change the settings to make sure all the charge settings are correct - then connect the panels.

On the romex, agreed. I’m just wanting to power a plug (quad box). To run a light for now.

On the mppt. I forgot it’s Bluetooth able. I’ll check the settings after battery hookup.

Victron's MPPTs are inherently current-limiting devices so turn the MPPT on before you turn your batteries on. Let the MPPT pre-charge the caps. Of course, you need to have panels connected and power coming in for this to work. Try not to commission your system after dark :cool:

If I’m understanding correctly, hook the MPPT up to the batteries and open up the Bluetooth connection to make sure it’s registering and set up at 48 V.

Then disconnect it from the batteries and hook the MPPT up to the Quattro and let that precharge the capacitors during daylight hours. Then hook it all up and turn it on. have I got that right?

Ah, apologies. We use a two-pole disconnect between each solar panel string and the input to the MPPT. Usually those are two-pole DC circuit breakers for small systems and two-pole high-voltage fuse blocks for larger systems.

In our system turn on/off documentation for stationary systems we'll have clients turn on DC input to their inverters and then enable PV input to the MPPTs to pre-charge the DC bus (inverters primarily). Then we'll have them turn on the inverters with their front-panel switch and/or soft switch. It might help to know we sell Victron Energy equipment for 99% of our solutions.

For RVs we install a separate pre-charge circuit since they are generally electrically naive and more likely to turn on/off their systems.

For commercial vehicles we use batteries with a BMS that has pre-charging built in.

Back