diy solar

diy solar

Stranded thhn

Possibly, but I don't believe so yet.

It says CU AND CU-CLAD WIRE ONLY on the device. The instructions say "accepts up to #10AWG copper or copper-clad wire".

Unless there is some very specific terminology rule I'm missing, neither of those exclude stranded copper wire.
They don’t explicitly list it either. ??‍♂️. Just playing devils advocate…

They don't explicitly list solid conductor wire either, do they?

They don't explicitly list solid conductor wire either, do they?
I’d say that the default for home use and most of the cheap consumer grade devices is assumed to be solid wire-but explicitly what is quoted above does not. Touché

Last edited:
They don’t explicitly list it either. ??‍♂️. Just playing devils advocate…
This is like the core of electrical code debates lol. It's the inspectors trump card. "Well if it's allowed then it should say so right?".

I had this debate a while ago about the Homeline circuit breakers that accept double tapping. Apparently some people got the idea that it's only allowed with equal AWG wires, but the spec doc just says like "accepts 1 wire up to 8 awg or 2 wires up to 10awg" or something. So people say see it doesn't say two different wires. And then this debate has played out so far that there's literally an email chain where Schneider was involved and they said "yes I checked with the engineers two different size wires both 10awg or less is allowed" and people STILL won't believe it.

Anyway, for our amusement, if we are to continue, I would next like to see any device that explicitly calls out solid/stranded. I haven't found one yet.

The exact device in question for me is a Leviton 5028-I (yes, I'm an almond man).

Last edited:

diy solar

diy solar
Back